45. The best birthday gift

Time is going by fast. The last month, we all started to work twice as harder as we did in the last year. If some of us wanted to get in their dream university, then I guess they had to. Mostly for Sao or Hajime. That last month, we found ourselves not spending much time together. I was seeing Tooru a lot less then before, but even though we were far apart the majority of the time, we were closer as we once were.

This year will be the first one, since my parents died, that I get to spend my birthday with my bestfriends and boyfriend. Sao's birthday and mine have always been celebrated at the same time. This year, it was no difference, but my uncle found a special and amusing way to celebrate it. Instead of doing two cakes, there will be only one and while one is blowing on one side of the cake, where his age is, the other will wait until midnight to blow the other part of candles off. And since Sao's born before me, well, I'm the last one to turn 18.

Anyway, this is what this day is... Sao's birthday.

"Happy birthday, my lovely bestfriend!" I screamed as he entered the house.

"Well, thank you, Y/n." He smiled, hugging me.

"You're welcome."

We would be only between us, because we didn't want a big party. In our memories, big parties always end up badly, so we didn't invite all our friends from school.

Ena and Irana ran down the stairs and hugged him after me, whishing him a happy birthday. I went up the stairs, walking right into Hajime who was about to wish him one too from there. Tooru decided to wish him a happy birthday from the couch in the living room.

"Come on, you lazy baby. You could have stood up and go see him." I complained, hitting him on his shoulder.

"Too much hard work for nothing."

"Uh-huh? And what am I supposed to think of that? I wonder if you'll be asleep by midnight or not."

"Don't worry, I'll stay awake for you with pleasure. Anything for you, darling."

I chuckled, taking a place beside him. He takes his arm over my shoulder and rests his head on mine.

"Uncle Irihata, let me help with the cake!" Ena proposed, arriving in the kitchen.

Well, my uncle has been struggling like hell with the cake and it was the 100th time that Ena was asking him to help and this time, he didn't refuse. He seemed so tired. Sao took place beside me. I looked at him and smiled. It's been long since I last saw him like that.

"How are you two doing?" he asked.

"Pretty well." I answered.

"And you?" Tooru asked.

"Well, homework's all I've got, so... yeah."

"You'll find someone, too, one day, I know it." I said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

His hand comes to mine.

"Thank you, Y/n. Let's just hope that she won't be as toxic and selfish as Kori."

He laughed and we followed.

"She won't." I promised, even though I knew I couldn't tell the future.

At dinner, we all took a place around the table. Sao and I were at both extremities of it. Tooru was at my right, my uncle at my left. Then, Ena and Irana were in front of each other and Julio and Hajime too. The table was filled with a lot of food and we could barely make a choice of what to eat. My uncle really transformed this into a dream birthday.

"Let's eat!" Sao and I said at the same time.

They started digging into the plates, taking what they wanted to eat. I joined them, eating lightly, not wanting to throw up after the dessert.