38. An end to something

I didn't think something so useful before would have become so useless in a matter of hours. A few days ago, a day after we lost to Karasuno, they were playing against Shiratorizawa. Before, it would have been useful to pinpoint every mistake, every single thing that belongs to each of the players. Those things would have helped us get used to their ways of playing and then, it would have helped us winning. But it's a little bit late to think about all those things, isn't it? I guess it is.

*-*--*-*

A few days ago, on the last day of the MPSIQ - Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa

Hajime had texted me when he woke up and I saw it when I woke up myself. He was asking me if I wanted to go watch the match that had Karasuno and Shiratorizawa against. I said yes, obviously, because I wanted to see how things were gonna turn out. For us, Volleyball never gave enough strength to our team to win against our biggest enemy in the prefecture. I wanted to see if Karasuno's team had become strong enough to beat the Number 1 team in the prefecture, for now... For them, I hope.

Hajime joined me at my house and we took the bus to the gym.

"You didn't invite Tooru?"

"Oikawa probably doesn't want to watch a match that opposes two teams he hates so I didn't think it was a good idea to invite him"

"Maybe he's already there"

"I honestly doubt it"

"I'm pretty sure he's there"

"Let's see, then"

When we arrived, the game had already started. We stayed at the deepest part of the stands, and I caught glance of Tooru, who didn't yet realize our presence. I pulled at Hajime's sweater.

"Look" I whispered. "He's there, wearing his glasses"

"He looks like he doesn't want to get recognized"

"It's the kind of thing he would do"

We walked until we were behind him. Hajime was the first to make his presence known.

"You're here, too"

I saw Tooru jump a little, surprised at our presence. Hajime sat two seats away from Tooru and I jumped over the chairs, as Hajime had done and sat between the two boys.

"I, personally, knew you would be here"

"Oh, hi, Y/n-chan" he greeted with a smile.

"Hi" I greeted back, smiling.

"Anyway, you would be very likely to share with us the reason why you're here" Hajime asked of him, visibly curious, he who was sure at a 100% that he wouldn't see an atom of Tooru's presence.

"To see the defeat have its effect on one of the teams' faces, even though I would love to see it on both"

"You would have to go to Nationals to see the other's" I say. "Except if they win the Nationals too"

"Not happening"

"It's in Tokyo anyway and we don't have any reason to go, except, for you, see the disappointment on the faces of our prefecture's representative team, which is not really... nice. If you had accepted to have a little talk with Karasuno, you would have seen by yourself that they were nice and kind"

"Why would I have a chat with my ennemies?!" he exclaimed.

"To get to know them better. Oh, but excuse me, I had forgotten that you hate to lower yourself to that level. You could make friends in the volleyball community, you know"

"But if I didn't want to?" he complains as if I were giving him an order.

"Then, I don't know what to say"

"You're too kind with other teams, Y/n-chan"

"Why do you think? Everyone in the volleyball community loves me. I love them back, that's all"

"Why are we even talking about this?" Hajime asked. "You came here to see the match, but all you're doing is bickering"

I crossed my arms on my chest and shut my mouth. All through the match, Hajime and Tooru were making comments here and there, that I didn't give any answer to. I was only either looking to my right, my left, or in front of me.

In the end, Karasuno won.

"And their win streak is over. Finally!" Tooru sighs.

"You seem thrilled that Karasuno won, Tooru" I tease.

"I am thrilled that Shiratorizawa lost. What you said is, most likely, not going to happen"

Tooru stood up, Hajime following his movements.

"Let's go. I don't want to see the awards ceremony" Tooru complained, walking away.

"You coming?" Hajime asked me, as I was still sitting on the chair.

I looked up at him.

"Yeah" I stood up, following Tooru, Hajime behind me, while we were quitting the gym, in which we had lost the day before.

In the bus, I was sitting with Tooru and Hajime was turned toward us in the seats in front of us. There weren't many people and so, Hajime wasn't stealing anyone's place.

"They have really improved compared to how they were the years before" I comment.

"Because of the new first years" Tooru immediately explained.

"Yeah, surely. But the captain and Number 3 are really good assets as third years. And for the second years, the libero and Number 5. They are really good, some stronger than the first years, so you can't say it's all thanks to the first years" I said.

"It's logical" Hajime added. "Our first years might be strong, but without us, the team wouldn't have gone to where they went"

"Now, you're scaring me. I don't want to imagine the team's fate next year"

"Oh come on, Tooru! The team's got good players. An amazing libero, good wing spikers, and setters. Believe in them, come on"

"But as long as Karasuno's duo is still in High School, we have no chance"

"You say 'we', but by then, you will be gone"

He shrugged. "I guess"

He looked outside the window, still sad from his loss. I can't say I understand him, because he wasn't born with natural talent. He worked through it, always having to do better and better, or unless he's not good enough. I always was. It's not the same thing. I wish I could comfort him without being pushed away. I looked at Hajime, who nodded and smiled. I gave him a small smile, showing my worry.

There was only silence until we left the bus. The rest of the way, we walked. But then again, the only thing that went out of our mouths was "goodbye, see you soon". I didn't have the strength to talk to him, nor did I have any to text him that night. When we came back to school after the weekend, the Tooru we know came back and acted as if nothing happened. Hajime and I only looked at each other, ignoring this now past part of our lives. We lost our chance, but the chance to go higher is not yet wasted.

*-*--*-*

(A/N) : Yesterday, I took care of the last chapters and I will be honest, I love them, I love how I created them. Also, I did some research for Oikawa because of his professional life. It wasn't clear when he was going to Argentine, but I left it to my imagination and so, I will do what I want to do with that, and if you're not okay with it, you can stop reading now. I mean, it's only a fanfiction, so it is gonna be written as it will be. I don't have to write everything according to the manga. Thanks for reading this chapter and see you on the next one :)