42. December 24th

I didn't have the chance to talk to Tooru in the few days that followed the play. I felt as if I needed to let him alone for a moment or he might snap at me for some reason I know too well. I didn't have the strength. But I couldn't let another Christmas be ruined again.

My uncle organised a little party for Christmas with a few people so we could have fun and not get bored. There will be the whole volleyball team, Sao, Ena and Irana. I wasn't sure Tooru was coming, since things seemed to be tense between us, but I wanted him to come. I needed him to come. So, today, December 24th, is the day I decide to move my ass and walk to Tooru's house so I can talk to him and make things clear.

I knock at his door and his mother responds.

"Oh, Y/n, what a surprise!" she exclaims.

"Hi" I greet rapidly. "Is Tooru here?"

"Yes, he is upstairs in his room." She lets me in and I take off my boots, winter coat and hat covered in snow. "Please, follow me. I'd like to offer you something to drink. Do you like hot chocolate?"

"Yes, I love it."

"Well, it's settled. I'll make us two hot chocolate."

She gave me a kind and honest smile and I followed her to the kitchen. In the past, I didn't have any chance or any opportunity to speak with Tooru's mother, mostly because we were always at my house. But now that she is the one to answer the door, I'm happy to be able to spend a little time with her before going to see Tooru. Maybe I could talk to her about him in the mean time.

I waited while she prepared the hot chocolate.

"Where are your mugs?" I asked.

"In the cabinet at my left."

"Okay, thank you."

I walked so I was at her side and opened the cabinet she pointed me. I took out two mugs and closed the door. She then poured the liquid into the two mugs and gave me one. I took a tiny sip, just so I did not burn myself and she insisted to sit at the table. I took a place and she took another. We were facing each other.

"You're kind, generous and full of love. I never wondered why my Tooru fell in love with you."

I blushed a little, not talking back to what she said, too shy to even think of something to say back. I took another sip of my drink.

"However, I wonder what he did to make you fall in love with him."

"I don't know. Maybe it was the way he was teasing me. Or the fact that he always wanted to protect me. I know he had plenty of girlfriends before me and that he never loved, and I never thought once that I could change him. Where we are today... is just the results of our past."

"You've gone through a lot, I can say. But Tooru told me you started getting to know each other better."

"It's been a few months."

"Almost a year ago, he came home from a Christmas party you three were attending, in tears, telling me you cheated on him. He fell asleep on my lap, that night. I have never seen my boy so hurt before and I didn't believe what you did. When he came back to me after learning the truth a week or so later, he cried again. He said he would never forgive himself for what he did ; which is doubting you and not believing you. I wasn't angry with him for acting as he did. But I'm pretty sure I hated the guy as much as you and Tooru did. He loved you so much and I'm pretty sure he holds the same love toward you today."

"I didn't know that..."

"No, of course, you didn't. Tooru always preferred to hide his feelings. The pain, at least, because he never hid his love for you, whoever he was with and I know it, because you wouldn't be here today. So let me ask you something, Y/n. Do you love him?"