44. A new year

We celebrated Julio's birthday two days later, on December 27th. And a few days after, we were celebrating the New Year. I remembered how, last year, I wasn't in good terms with Tooru. I was actually organizing something with Hajime to tell Tooru what would happen when school would start after Christmas break was over. With Sao, I spent the first day of the year with him at a Shrine, as we usually did in Tokyo. He had just came back from his trip to Mexico. This year, I find myself walking toward this sacred house with all my friends, side to side, coming here for the Japanese tradition.

We went through the gates and realized how many people there were. This year, we decided to come for the celebration. Which means on December 31st, an hour before the New Year. It was dark, the lights were opened. It was pretty and exciting. We took our place in the line for the New Year's prayer.

"Ooh, it's cold out here." Irana complained.

"At least they have hot drinks." I said, shrugging.

"Oh, yes. These hot drinks are basically life." Tooru approved.

"Let's go buy some, then." Ena proposed.

"What about the prayer?" Tooru asked.

"Us girls will go take our drinks, you, guard our place." Ena made a deal.

Hajime nodded, turning back to the boys as Ena was dragging both Irana and I out of the line toward the hot drinks' stand.

"Mmmh, smells so good." Irana commented.

The line was smaller than the one for the prayer, so we will have time to buy the drinks before going back to the line for the prayer. When it was finally our turn, we bought six cups of the same drink, paid, and went back to the boys. I gave one of the drinks I had in my hands to Tooru and the two other girls gave the other one to one of the boys. We took little sips and waited, until it was our turn. When the girls prayed, the boys were holding the cups and then, the girls were holding the cups, waiting for the boys. We walked around for a little while, contemplating the magnificent decorations in the trees.

People kept coming in through the gates and we finally decided to sit, finishing our cups at the same time.

"Can't believe we'll spend the end of this year and the beginning of the next one together." Irana emotionally shared.

"It gives a powerful sort of feeling when you think about it." I blurted out without thinking. "I don't know how to explain it, but it feels good. So good to think you can have such precious time with your friends."

"Yeah, exactly." Irana agreed.

A few minutes later, the people around us started the countdown to zero until the New Year. We joined in, standing up. When our voices reached zero, the next thing we knew, everyone was telling everyone a 'Happy New Year'. The words flew around us for a couple of minutes as we were, ourselves, throwing our cups in the trash and heading toward the gates to the exit. Once we were out, it felt like we could breath again.

We started heading toward our houses.

"To think we have not much time until the end of our Highschool years." I broke the silence.

"To think we'll finally be able to go professional in our dream." Tooru used another way of speaking, giving me a little punch on the arm.

"Me who had planned on becoming an actress. I'm not becoming that at all." Ena added.

"I'm personally starting filming my first project in April!" Irana shared.

"Let's say I'm not in a hurry to say goodbye to you." Hajime said.

We all laughed.

"Well, we said we would meet again in 2018." Sao put in.

"It feels so far for no reason. As if we will never reach it." I shared.

"It's in five years. It's not that far." Hajime tried to reassure us.

"Let's look on the bright side, guys." Ena jumped in. "We'll see each other again, soon. Just, don't let your brain forget that you have a rendez-vous in five years, on May 10th at 11 am, okay?"

And we laughed again. Another good memory. Let's try to not forget her words...

We left Hajime at his house as Sao was going in the opposite direction. Ena and Irana left us when we were at my house. Tooru and I were in front of each other, a few centimeters separating each other. I was smiling. He had his hands at my waist and mine were on his arms.

"I spent a very good time in your company." I said.

"The feeling is shared, love."

I smiled even more.

"Goodnight, see you tomorrow."

"Yeah. See you tomorrow." I confirmed.

He leans in and kisses me. It goes on for a few seconds until we finally get away from each other.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you, too."

As he was walking away, I hold his hand until the last second and I finally made my way to my house, entering. I closed the door, locking it. The lights were still opened. I thought it was Julio sneaking around to get something to eat. But it turned out, it was nothing similar to that that awaited me. I took off my shoes and my coat and I went up the stairs. I stopped right there, because my uncle was sitting at the table, looking down on some enveloppes spread on the table. I frowned, worried. He then lifted up his head and looked at me straight in the eyes.

"I just took a walk to take the mail I haven't been going to take for a few weeks. There was a lot. You could say I neglected it. I actually missed one enveloppe in particular that has been there for a few months. I was surprised. It was addressed to you."

"Who was it from?" I asked, walking toward him.

"I didn't open it. Take it."

He gave me the enveloppe.

"I stayed up, because I was too curious of its content to go to sleep. So I waited for you."

I looked at it more carefully. I lifted up my head abruptly to my uncle as soon as I saw who it was from. He gestured to me, insisting that I open it. I didn't make him beg and rapidly, not elegantly ripped it open. I took the letter out of the enveloppe and read its content. I had no expression on my face from the sudden nervousness. My uncle was waiting for answers.

When I finished reading, I lifted up my head to my uncle, who was silently begging me to share its content.

"What is it?" He then asked.

I took a big breath, calming me down, before answering his question.

"I have been invited to join Japan's Woman Volleyball Team as the Libero as of April." I let out in a breath, not believing what I just read.

My uncle's face brightened up.

"I guess they heard your plans, little fairy."

"I guess they did." I was smiling so brightly that I was almost screaming of excitement, but I had to restrain myself so I didn't wake my brother up.