34. Change of plans

I was getting more and more better at learning the kinda lot of lines I had to learn. We are about to practice the staging, as we always do each rehearsal, part by part. Ena and Irana were placing themselves on the stage, I wasn't in this part, so I was only practicing my text, but still paying attention to their work, interested and curious. Soon, I would be asked to take care of the lights, or the setting because some of the students that were taking care of it weren't there, since they didn't have big roles like ours. They were only there one to two times a week, so actors were also helping in case, if the students couldn't be there on the play. They also have other clubs, since they only voluntarily decided to help because they had free time, but anyway, it's what it is.

Suddenly, as I and a few other helpers, were closing the lights so we could change the settings, the door of the drama club room opened and a-... boy entered, with his bag, putting it on the floor near the door where he entered a few seconds ago. Every head turned and we could hear some screams. Irana ran to him, hugged him and when the hug broke apart, she started punching him playfully. Ena walked slowly to them. I could see a smile on her face. She stopped and crossed her arms on her chest. I went out of the place I was 'hiding' and walked to them. The drama club teacher joined us.

"You told us you wouldn't be back until the New Year! Dumbass, could've told us you would be back so soon" Irana blamed him, her fists on her hips as I was walking slowly toward them.

The boy was scratching the back of his neck in embarrassment, a little smile on his face and when suddenly he lifted up his face, our eyes met. I could see how beautiful he actually was. He had black hair, curly, a little everywhere with black eyes. Fine traits. Tall. Thin body. Really beautiful smile.

"We got a new actor?" he asked.

"Skipping my question, huh?" Irana complained.

"No. Cami got hurt over the summer and she can't play her role, so we found a replacement. She became our friend at the beginning of the year. She is actually a volleyball player"

"Well, nice to meet you, I'm Akuna Ren"

"The pleasure is shared. I'm Irihata Y/n"

"Irihata? Wait, I recognize you. Aren't you the girl who lost her parents? I saw you on TV a year ago"

"Yeah, that's me"

"Nice! I would have never believed you would be Cami's replacement. Welcome"

"Thanks"

"And so?" Irana cut through the awkward eye contact that had installed itself between Akuna and me. "My question"

"Oh, yeah, sorry. The producer of the series I'm participating in got really sick and so, we can't work on it now. It's kinda serious. He's in bed for a couple of weeks, if not months"

"Oh, that's sad" Ena commented.

"So, it means you're coming back into the play?" Irana hopefully asked.

"Do we still have time, though?" he asked, looking in the teacher's direction. "Zali, what do you think?"

"I wouldn't say no. I mean, you coming back would bring back to the play what made it so good. I never agreed to letting go the love story between Nam and Violet" she said with a smile.

Wait- I'm Violet...

"Then, I guess it's settled!" Akuna exclaimed. "I imagine you're going to go take the real copies now?"

"Yep, they are somewhere in my office, let me get that. Everyone, we do not have time to waste, we're going to practice the play from the start. We're going to go even faster. You're gonna have to learn your texts at home and in a record time, I'm serious, we can't lose more time learning text. We're gonna take care of the stating and setting and the lights!"

I thought it could get more scary than it actually was, but I guess this is the top of the top, I really wonder how I'm gonna work this through. Yes, I guess I would have preferred that this Akuna Ren didn't show up, because now it's complicating my life. And not only that, he's the love interest of my character. How am I going to tell this to Tooru?

When rehearsal was finally over, I thought we had practiced past my bed time. We did only a part, but it's a good start for what little time we had. I was walking home with Tooru today since it was Wednesday, so I had to hurry to not let him wait. Before I could leave the stage, Akuna approached me.

"Hey, you're good at acting. I wouldn't have thought that a volleyball player could do what we do, but you're really good. I can't wait to work with you more on this play"

"Thanks" I thanked him with a genuine smile. "I heard earlier that you were an actor, did you do a lot of projects?"

"No, not a lot. I mean, I just started my career. I'm working on my second one. Thanks for asking"

"You're welcome"

"Then, I say see you tomorrow, Y/n"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow, Akuna"

"Drop the formalities, please. Call me Ren"

"Understood... Ren"

He walked away and I took my things, getting out of the stage then out of the drama club room. I was so in my mind that I ran into Tooru.

"Sorry! I didn't see you. I-i was lost in my thoughts"

"And I wonder what you were thinking about. Anyway, ready to go?"

"Yeah" I said, rapidly, already walking to the exit.

For a long moment, there was only silence, and I was looking straight in front of me, lost in my thoughts. I wonder myself why I was thinking about that. I mean, I should be telling Tooru about what happened at rehearsal today, but I couldn't.

"You sure you're okay?" he asked, worried.

"Perfectly fine. I'm fine, don't worry"

My words, as much as my tone, weren't convincing. But he didn't ask anything else. We just continued walking, until we were at my house. We told each other goodbyes and I entered the house completely blaming myself for what I did, or rather what I didn't do. The love story between Nam and Violet is an impossible love shared by both. It's an heart breaking story where Violet gets really sick and dies. Nam's hurt and can't get over it.

Nam wasn't a character of the play, until his actor... Akuna Ren, came back from his filming for a new series. He shouldn't have came back, but the producer got sick and is in bed for an unknown amount of time. But I'm scared. Because I'm the one playing Violet. I'm the one who has to act as if I'm falling in love. It will be the most difficult emotion to act and if I make it true enough, Tooru, sitting in a chair in front of the stage, will know something's wrong. I hate this. I should be telling him, but I can't. But it's too late to hope for a miracle. Because if Ren gets called back a week before the play is presented, we won't have time to practice the other version and so he will have to stay until the play is presented. The only thing is that the play is in two months and I barely have time to think about telling him. And it reminds me so much of a time last year... when I got invited by the United States to continued my volleyball career. I really hate this.