Chapter 38

Storm's POV

I felt myself weak in the knees as the pain in my heart was too much to bear. It wasn't my pain, our bond wasn't even half way finished but I could feel every single emotion she did. The loss of a parent.. it's the worst pain a person could have.

As soon as she slipped from my grip, Demetria wasted no time running after Aradia as I tried to stop her but she was already far ahead. Her anger and hurt clouding her vision, she was close to her until Aradia disappeared and let the body of her mother fall.

When she turned, I felt her heart break once more as I stopped in my tracks. She watched her, her veins all tainted with black from Aradia's magic. She went on her knees as she took her in her arms.

Like everyone else I watched her as she held her against her chest. I didn't know what to do as I saw the pitiful looks on everyone else. The hurt as she looked at her mother. And just then... she screamed. Louder than I have ever heard before. She was screaming of pain and it was as if something died inside of her, I feared that that thing was the side that held on to every bit of humanity inside her.

But when she cried, I felt something in me break too. It wasn't just my heart, it was... something else. It's like I could see a certain force leaving her as her cries got louder. Whatever was leaving her was leaving me too, the millions and millions of invisible knives stroke against my naked heart. It was as if all the flesh and my rib cage did not exist.

I went down on my knees the louder her screams got. I groaned from the excruciating pain I felt. It felt like forever as whatever was breaking inside of me continued until it lessened. By that time Scarlett was trying to speak to me as everyone else was too scared to go to a crying Demetria.

I removed my sister's arms when I felt better and I got to my feet and walked towards her. I could no longer feel her feelings but my heart still ached for her. My monster was suddenly confused as if it did not recognise her.

As I got closer, I could now hear she was speaking softly followed by her silent sobs. The snow still fell but it didn't come with the wind as a few minutes ago.

"P-please.." She had hiccups as she brushed her mother's hair in her arms. "You are e-everything I ha-have." She was barely able to speak with her stutters and having a heard time to breathe.

I walked until I was behind her as she continued to sob and beg her mother to wake up. I got on my knees and embraced her in a hug. The sparks were not the same, they felt.. weak but there was nothing else I could say or do. All I could give her was a comforting hug because no words could heal her heart.

.............................................

"What did you need me for?" My brother's deep voice covered the silent room, covering the small breaths of my m... Demetria.

What do I even call her now? She's definitely not my friend because she's the girl I admitted that I was falling in love with a few days ago. I wasted so much time as I stayed away from her for almost a month. I thought to myself that we had a lifetime together but I was wrong. Now I'm in conflict, I don't know what to say or do.

"I wanted to ask you about.. something. About your past." I say as I watch him take a seat.

Not forgetting to look at a dreaming Demetria. The snow still covered the ground but the person that made it snow cried and overused her powers until she passed out.

"Okay?" He says skeptically as he lied back on his chair.

I started explaining it to him, the pain, the feeling and whatever that thing was and to say he was shocked was an understatement.

"It felt like a rope that was holding on was being set on fire until it was holding on with one string and then it just.. snapped?" He says giving me an idea of what I mean.

"Yes exactly!" From the look on his face, I was right.

"That definitely sounds like how it felt with me. But why would Demetria reject you? She should need you now more than ever." He makes a good point. But the only problem with this is only one.

"Stefanos, you said it felt like you were dying but... I don't feel pain. I felt pain at that time." I say. I don't feel the pain he described the first time he told me.

Though it has been fifty years, he still wasn't over it. The Auburn haired woman with the most illuminating eyes, one yellow the other brown. I was 16 when he told me, he wanted me to know that mates can also not be what you expect them to be, and he was right.

"I don't know what it is but my best guess has to do with the fact that Demetria is also a royal." I did not think of that.

"Two royals soon to be betrothed can't be together unless they are of the same species." I think to myself as I remember the lessons I used to get as a child.

Royals, whether woman or man, they have dominant genes so that that species continues to rule. Some say a hybrid could be born from such. Demetria is surely a princess since I could feel she's a royal. For sure she's bound to create her species from scratch again.

"Besides that little brother, the sick witch said something about a hybrid that went after a wolf. That Jessie girl that spelled River was the first to pop up in my mind." He says. I did not even pay attention to that.

"Jasmine." I correct.

"I don't care. She said something about her being a hybrid of a witch specie and a Fae. That's not possible to have in this time. Unless.." he trails off leaving me to finish.

"Unless Demetria is not the only living Fae." That could only make sense.

The Queen of Fae, the old seer, she saw a future where her child ruled. But she also had to save her people, Demetria might be her people's saviour. She's here not to get people's approval on existing and recreating her kind, she's here to find her kind and lead them. How can she do that with all the heart break she's enduring? With all the hatred she's soon to have?

"That explains everything. But first, finding out where Aradia is. That's the first thing she will want when she wakens." Stefanos says as he looked her.

Stefanos has proven over and over again his loyalty to me more than my father. He has protected Demetria and not just because she's my- was my mate and our sister's friend. Also because he loves and believes in her strong heart and need to ensure people's safety besides his own.

He may not know I know this but, Stefanos has felt like an outsider in our family. He doesn't know his father and he got too close with mine but inside he still felt like an outsider. A royal by default and because he was accepted by our ancestors, he isn't a royal by blood. He knows a thing or two about feeling alone and having to protect others and not being protected, our mother is nice but she's the most emotionally unavailable person you'd meet.

Stefanos is just like her but with a slight difference. He shows his care and emotions in different ways. Although his loyalty without fail is as clear as glass.

...................................................................

Every comments matters so don't forget to vote and comment. Have enjoy♥️