Prologue

4 years later...

Demetria's POV

The crystals on my earrings matched the glistening colour of blue illuminating my eyes. My hair was in a perfect low bun, styled by Nora and the make up was all Jasmine. The person, no the woman standing in front of my mirror was unrecognisable. My hair had grown long but this time I didn't cut it. I had no time to, besides, I liked it for now.

I straightened the soft fabric of black that I had worn as a business suit all to my midnight black formal heels. This is my first of many official business meeting with the royals. All royals, I am no longer meeting them as a young girl but a woman. A Queen. The first Queen in history who stands with no man by her side, the first Queen to be on the throne without needing to have a hand hold me.

Not many years ago I was scared of a simple conversation with a teenager but now I will be facing Royals. Some hundreds of years old but some still young, all of them have their old traditions and opinions to offer. I am going to offer what my mind tells me, that I am the Queen no matter their words.

I had not communicated with any of my old friends. I wasn't ready to face them, or I should say I wasn't ready to face him.

They all knew I wasn't. I thought I was okay with it, I thought I was going to be fine when he found his mate but I had never expected it to be so soon that I left as soon as I heard because I knew I'd never be able to stand seeing them together, not to mention having to meet her. I was well aware most of my heart was left there with him but his was never with me, so I chose to focus on more productive things.

Right now I am standing in a centuries old castle that somehow still stood. Funny story, there were still Faes that lived in the Fae kingdom. Damien's parents Sersi and Theo, my other mother Sybil and my Father Logan all knew their deaths would come sooner than I could be able to takeover. Sybil apparently had a vision before she died, so they had put some people to ensure that they kept the castle hidden and still healthy. In other words they looked out for me even before I was born, even when they are gone.

I do not know how but all I had to do when I came here was clean around the grounds. The inside still looked like a nice but abandoned house. What captured my eyes were the portraits on the walls. All of the people held brown hair and mostly amber eyes, like my father. It's obvious that he was the one who was a royal.

The last portrait caught my attention the most. It was the King and Queen of all Faes, the artist captured the beauty of the love between the two and their very relaxed faces. My mother sat on a throne whereas my father was standing next to her, his hand on his shoulder as he looked at her face with admiration. She looked straight at the artist, she looked so happy. They both looked so happy it warmed my heart.

At least I wished it did. It was beautiful, indeed but it did nothing to warm my heart apart from making me feel like shit. In my eyes it only seemed that everyone was happy, in love, smiling and enjoying the victory of the death of Aradia. I, on the other hand felt like I had a hole in my chest. It is a dark, deep and endless pit of emptiness. I was missing something but I didn't know what.

Damien? Maybe. My former friends? Possibly. Him? I don't know. Love? What love if it wasn't like him? I don't even know anymore. I'm not even sure I know myself. Although it doesn't matter today, I am meeting them after all.

A few months after leaving, River had a mating ceremony with his mate. I couldn't attend because time was not on my side, I was still trying to rebuild my kingdom. Two years later, Storm and Aurora had a coronation and a wedding. Which I didn't attend also, I did have time then but I just did not want to. I know it's pathetic of me to still have had feelings for someone with a mate, on top of that, a wedded mate. I remind myself everyday of what a horrible person I am and I had stopped letting it bother me now. I did send them a wedding gift though, that should count as something.

As for Damien and Scarlett, according to Jasmine of course, Damien did not want to get sexual with her until she was 21 which she absolutely despised but he really didn't feel it was right. He is centuries older than all of us. Although they hadn't wedded because they hadn't felt like it, I don't know why and I'm absolutely not going to try finding out.

"Mi reina, your vehicles are ready." Philip informed me as I looked at him through my mirror. I nodded in reply to him and he took the moment to leave.

Most of my people had lived all around the world, they had come back once the word of Faes regaining their kingdom had spread. So far I have a kingdom of over 2800 Faes which is still not all of them. Some had been blessed with mates but we had to make sure it was safe for them to live with their mates, considering vampire and wolves still hated Faes, they left their families for them. It doesn't mean I would also have to abandon them. No Fae shall have to fight alone while I still live.

I took leave as I headed for outside, passing by the empty hallways that are filled with the portraits on my right. One of the elderly had told me that every royal had a portrait not because they were just rulers but because they had done great things in their times. Therefore, for saving and rebuilding our kingdom, they urged me to get mine. I'm not ready as yet, I still do not feel worthy to see myself next to my parents but eventually I will.

As soon as I was outside, the relaxing breeze of a spring air hit my lungs allowing me to take in a much needed deep breath embracing the ambrosial smell of the blooming flowers. Spring is one of the seasons I used to love, now for me everything is no longer in beautiful colours, it's in black and white.

"Are you sure you're ready?" Jasmine asked as soon as I reached the SUVs that were parked in front of the stair case that lead to the entrance.

"I've always been ready." I replied as I made my way towards the open door behind her.

She went to enter on the other side. She's my advisor in many things and the one person who knows the real me, the one person that knows me personally. In other words, she's like a best friend to me, I trust her but she thinks I don't which is why she keeps trying to impress me.

Well, here goes shit.

......................................................................

The end!

I hope y'all enjoyed the book. Don't forget to vote and comment to give me your view, remember, even critics are a good a audience.