Chapter 41

Julia shuffled through the issues sweeping trash, listening to Robin word vomit about her crush.

"And then Vicki laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either. It was like… it was a real, genuine laugh." She gushed, meeting the couple in the aisle next to her.

"Of course, it's my muppet joke, it's hilarious." Steve muttered as he reorganized thrown around VHS tapes.

"My point is that Vicki laughed and everything was just like it was perfect."

"But?" Julia interrupted as Steve handed her tapes to stock. "But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say but then I guess I get nervous, and the words they just, keep spilling out, and it's like my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or rather my mouth is moving faster than my brain and it's like I'm digging this hole for myself, and I want to stop digging, I'm trying to stop but I can't and i'm doing it right now aren't I?" Julia walked up to her best friend, her hands reached up and pressed her cheeks together squishing her face.

The blonde quickly took a deep breath, "Yeah, honey you are."

"Yeah, you are." Steve confirmed to his best friend.

Robin exhaled, backing into the wall behind her. "I'm hopeless."

"Eh, we all are." Steve and Julia joined her side, one on each side of the girl. "You guys are hopelessly in love with each other, there's a difference." She rubbed her face with her hands before turning her attention to the movies displayed.

Robin gasped as her eyes landed on a tape across the store, "ooh, I think I found our morning movie." She grinned before running over to grab it, "Doctor Zhivago."

"Ugh, you know I don't do double VHS." Steve waved his arms, "but it's about doomed love. Also, Julia Christie is b-b-bonkers hot in this. Like seriously the most beautiful creature I have ever seen in my life." Robin's thoughts were cut off after turning on the TV to see 'breaking news' in red.

"We're in Forest Hills trailer park in East Roane County, we don't have a lot of details now but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the name although we are told they're currently in the process of notifying the family." 

"Holy shit." Steve whispered softly as his hands found their way to Julia's waist, gently pulling her back to stand against his chest.

Her hands rested on his as she sighed, "this town can never catch a break can it? We just need to move and just travel or something. Just get us out of here." 

The trio stood there as they listened to the news, their focus on the TV broken by the sound of the store doors opening. Everyone turned their heads to see Dustin and Max,"Julia, how many phones do you have?"

"you guys see this?" Steve asked as the teens approached them. "How many phones do you have?" Dustin asked, "someone was murdered."

"How many phones do you have?" Dustin raised his voice. 

"Two. Why?"

"Technically three, if you count Keith's in the back." Robin added. "Three works." Max said.

"what are you doing?" Steve asked before Dustin threw his backpack over the counter, "woah Dustin! What are you doing?" Julia backed away as her brother not so gracefully jumped over the counter, knocking down the trio's stacked piles of organized tapes. "No, no, no! Our tapes!" Steve cried out.