chapter 34

Julia stood with Max, Lucas, and Mike waiting for El and Will to finish talking to their parents.

Mike called out to El. "Hey, we should probably go." El gave her dad another tight hug before Mike and Max walked up to her to help her walk.

"Julia, can I have a word please?" Hopper asked. She nodded as she walked up to him. Hopper stood up from his seat and looked down at the girl. "Thank you for taking care of El. When I'm out doing my job or even when she just needs a friend. Thank you for being a good role model for her. She talks about you a lot, how she loves you and appriciate you. You're doing amazing in life, never change that." Hopper said, making Julia's eyes water. "Thanks Hopper. Thank you for being an amazing dad to her." Hopped embraced the girl, thankful that his daughter has a best friend like that.

As they were about to walk away, Hopper called out one last thing, "Mike?" Mike stopped walking and turned around. "Be careful." Mike nodded his head and began to walk again.

The group walked outside to the car, Johnathan and Nancy in the front seat, Lucas, Will, Max in the middle, and Mike, El, and Julia in the back.

Nancy attempted to turn the car on, only for them to hear a sputtering sound in the engine. She attempted multiple times, but nothing worked. Nancy popped the hood as Johnathan went out to check.

"What the hell?"

"What?"

"The ignition cable's gone."

The sound of an engine revving echoed throughout the parking lot. Everyone's heads turned to see Billy Hargove's distinguishable car. His front light turned on, everyone's breaths getting at a fast pace.

"We gotta go we gotta go now." Julia said hopping out of the back. Mike helped El get out of the spot, Julia picked Eleven up bridal style and ran inside the mall.

They made it back to the food court and sat there. Mike was on his walkie-talkie attempting to make contact with the scoops troop.

Julia was in the bathroom splashing cold water on her face. She hissed in pain as the cold water hit her face. "Hey," Nany barged through the bathroom door, "we need everyones help." Julia nodded as she wiped the water off her face.

She gathered around the flipped over car as everyone attempted to push it over. To their dismay it didn't work. "Let me try." El spoke up.

"El..." Mike breathed out.

"I can do it." El reassured him.

Everyone stood aside as El stood in front of the car, her arm out as she attempted to flip it over. Her powers did not work.

Everyone grabbed metal polls and shoved them under the car in attempt to lift it. "Push!" Jonathan grunted as everyone pushed down their polls,  they finally got the car on the side.

"Alright great. Now all the way. Ready?" John asked as everyone replaced their polls on the car.

"Three, two, one, push!"

With one final push the car fell back on all four wheels. "Told you, physics." Mike panted.

Everyone got down from their spot as Nancy and John opened the hood to grab the ignition chord.

Julia saw will in a state of panic, his hand holding the back of his neck. She was about to ask him if he was okay, but the sound of rumbling in the distance caught her attention.

"Will..." Julia whispered as she made eye contact with Max. The red head got Mike's attention as they looked up at the glass ceiling.

"Nancy!" Mike screamed as Johnathan ripped out the ignition cable.

Everyone looked up to see the ominous figure on top of the roof.

Julia grabbed Wills arm and ran with him out to the car. She turned her head back to see the monster they were running from. "What the fuck is that!" Julia screamed as she took in the horrid features of the Mind Flayer.

They all ran and hid in separate directions. Julia ran and hid behind a pillar, her eyes falling on the walkie talkie. She glanced at the mind flayer who's was too busy looking in the other direction.

She quickly grabbed it and hid back behind the wall. "Scoop troop its Jules. The mind flayer. Its here and its fucking terrifying. Billy trapped us. We need-" Julia stopped talking when she heard the heavy footsteps coming towards her. She quickly crawled away from the pillar and hid on the other side of the stone wall.

Dustin and Steve attempted to make contact with Julia again, but the only response they got was the creature shrieking into the walkie talkie. The two boys almost lost it at the thought of loosing someone they both love.

Will, Johnathan, Nancy and Lucas hid behind the red car. Julia made eye contact with Lucas who gave her a reassuring nod. The creature walked in the other direction of Julia. She took this time to run and duck behind the counter of Orange Julius. There was a stand where she could see Mike, Max and El hiding.

Mike looked at Julia, his finger pointing to the Gap store. She nodded her head as he counted down on his fingers. Julia jumped over the counter as he hit number one.

She followed the kids into the store, nearly crying when El knocked over a metal poll causing a crashing sound.

Julia immediately tucked herself in the empty spot where the cash register table was. El, Mike, and Max hid behind shelves of clothes. The whole floor shook as the creature stomped its way to the store.

All Julia could hear was small shrieking sounds. There was a tentacle that reached around the corner, yanking a mannequin from its place. Julia gripped her hand over her mouth, afraid to make any noise.

A sudden noise of a balloon popping grabbed the mind flayers attention. Julia ran, grabbing the kids as she ran by. "Go go go!"

They ran through the back hallways as Mike and Max carried El. "Guys just open doors I'll carry her." Julia said, rushing the teens. They moved and ran ahead, opening the gate to the parking lot. Julia picked up El in her arms, running through them. They saw Billy getting out his car, eyes trained on them.

"Shit shit go back!" Julia turned around and ran back, Max hitting the close gate button. They ran through the halls as the lights flickered on an off.

They ran to an elevator, Julia put El down as Mike pressed the button. The door slammed open, Max walked out into the hallway.

"Billy." She breathed out.

Julia tucked Mike and El behind her as she called out Max's name.

"Billy you don't have to do this. Your name is Billy, Billy Hargrove. You live on 4819 Cherry Lane. Billy please I'm max, I'm your-." Max cried out as Billy back handed his step sister, knocking her to the floor.

He made his way to Julia and the kids. "Billy I beg you please don't-" Julia couldn't finish speaking as Billy's hand wrapped tightly around her throat, lifting her off the floor. She clawed her her hands as she kicked her feet in the air. Her face was turning purple when Mike ran up to him and tried to attack him. Billy dropped the girl to the ground, her vision blacking out.