chapter 5

Julia sat on the couch in the living room, her eyes glued to the TV as the local news channel reported the body found in the lake was confirmed to be Will Byers.

Her hands clenched around a pillow, pulling at the fabric. Burying her face in the pillow, she let out quiet whimpers. Will was like another brother to her, and the thought of what the Byers family is going through felt like a knife going right through her heart.

"Jonathan." Her voice came out hoarse, her throat felt dry. She got off the couch, finding paper to write a note in case her mom or Dust went looking for her. "Went to Byers. If not back before morning I'll be home soon. you know their number-Jules."

She didn't care it was 2 in the morning, she needed to see her friend. Running to her car, she sped off in the direction of the Byers household. Her sight was a bit foggy due to the continuous tears, but she kept a fast speed.

Arriving to the house, she went into the backyard knocking on the older brothers window. He had been staring at the ceiling the whole time, the soft noise catching his attention. Climbing out of bed he opened the window for the girl to come in.

The two stood there without speaking a word, until Jonathan crumbled before her. She wrapped her arms around him, one hand tangled in his hair, the other gripping on to his body.

"Its okay Jon. I'm right here. Don't worry I'm right here." She mumbled into his hair. The pair of friends stood there, the only noise was him letting out hysteric sobs.

Julia guided them to his bed, she sat up while he laid down, his head resting in her lap. Running her fingers through his hair, she bit down on her lip, refusing to break in front on him. He needed someone, so she was his anchor in this storm.

___________________________

The two fell asleep, only to be woken by the sound of the birds chirping outside his window. Jonathan shuffled around, opening his eyes hoping it was all just a bad dream. But when he saw Julia still asleep, he knew it was reality.

The boy nudged her awake, she yawned and stretched, her back cracking multiple times, sounding like bubble wrap. "Shit." She mumbled in pain. Jonathan sat on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands. "We have to see Will today." He sighed. Julia sat next to him, her hand on his back.

He turned to her to ask, "will you come with us?" Her mind immediately flipped to her going to school, but this was more important.

She nodded her head, and left the boys room. Jonathan went into the living room to wake his mother up who had fallen asleep on the couch, with an axe in her hand.

Joyce Byers dreaded the thought of seeing her son's body, who wouldn't? Joyce noticed the girl who was beside her son. "Julia?" The mother mumbled, rubbing her eyes to see if it were really her.

"Hi Joyce." She said before giving the broken woman a hug. "Thank you for being here." She mumbled into Julia's hair. "I'll always be here for your family."

Julia was thankful to have the Byers in her life, Joyce had always been a second mother to her, so she was doing everything she could to make sure the Byers would be okay.
______________________________

Joyce, Jonathan and Julia went to the coroner where they were to see Wills body. No one was prepared for this, but Joyce had to see it for herself. She didn't believe her son actually died, she was convinced he was somewhere, but he wasn't safe which did not ease her nerves one bit.