chapter 43

Nancy and Robin ran into the school just as Max finally snapped out of it and explained to the group what just happened.

The vision she had that sounded terrifying, hearing Max's voice cracking every so often when she talked shattered everyone's heart.

The young redhead showed the group where in the hall she saw the decrepit grandfather clock.

"It was here. Right here." "A grandfather clock?" "It was so real. And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just… I woke up." Max recalled the moment she snapped out of it, the looks of panic on everyone's faces.

"It was like she was in a trance or something," Dustin said, "exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy."

Max turned to them, "that's not even the bad part." She led them back to the counselors office where she could read them the files.

Steve stood next to Julia, his hand holding hers which she immediately sent a small squeeze to."Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Miss Kelly for help. They both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then… then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat, and then they started seeing things. Bad things, from their pasts. In these visions they just… they kept on getting worse and worse until eventually… everything ended."

"Vecna's curse."

"Chrissy's headache started a week ago. Fred's, six days ago. I've been having them for five days." Steve's free hand reached up and covered his mouth for a second, his gaze turning to the ground. Julia's eyes glazed over with a layer of tears at this realization. Max got hit with Vecna's curse.

"I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock so…" Max cried out, her breathing was shaky as the tears dripped from her eyes onto her freckled cheeks.

"...Looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow." She whispered. The silence emitted from the group was broken when a loud distant clang echoed, everyone's head snapping towards outside the classroom.

"Stay here." Steve instructed, pointing specifically at Julia who remained in her spot, watching as Steve picked up a lamp as a weapon.

The base of the lamp hit the door entrance and clanged loudly as Steve went down the hall. Dustin, Nancy, and Robin went out into the hall to watch Steve.

However, Julia remained still as Max's words echoed in her head, 'Looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow.' She didnt even realize they walked out until Max walked up to her.

The redhead wrapped her in a hug, her body lightly shaking as she tightened her grip on Julia. No words were exchanged but the moment ment the word to the both of them, and so much love was exchanged.

They joined the others in the hall as they followed behind Steve slowly, the sound of footsteps approached rapidly. Steve lifted the lamp up and got ready to attack, only to be scared by Lucas running around the corner. Everyone screamed out as the basketball player identified himself.

"Jesus, what's wrong with you Sinclair!" Steve freaked out at the teen, only upset because he hated the thought of hurting these kids even by accident.

"I'm sorry." Lucas gasped out, hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. "I could've taken you out with this lamp!"