chapter 16

The group was walking down the train tracks to where they were trying to hear the growing from. Julia had a small smile on her face from what just happened. Steve walked next to Dustin.

"Took you long enough." Dustin mumbled up to him. "It really did. But when I started thinking more about her, I saw something in her I haven't before. How she always lit up when she sees you and your friends. How she knows everything about me and knows what to do to make me forget about anything bad. She brings out a different side of me. "

"Alright dude I get it, I'm trying to keep my lunch down. Break her heart I'll cut your hair." Dustin threatened, only joking a little bit. Steve's eyes widened, pushing his hand through his hair.

He walked faster to catch up next to his girl, linking their hands together. "You're positive that was dart?" Lucas asked. "Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

"He was tiny two days ago." "Well, he's molted three times already." "Malted?" "Molted."

Julia defined it, "Its when he sheds his skin to make room for growth." Steve nodded, looking around the woods.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked. "Its gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Julia's eyes widened after Steve said that. Lucas stopped Dustin, "wait. He ate a cat? Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No" Dustin was a horrible liar, everyone could tell. "What are you talking about? He ate Mews." "Mews? Who's Mews?" "Dustin's cat." Julia sighed and placed a hand over his mouth.

Leaning up to him, she whispered in his ear "they didn't know Dustin kept him. They thought Dart ran off by himself." "Oh fuck." Steve mumbled into her hand.

"Did you know about him?" Max asked Julia who removed her hand from covering Steve's mouth. "I literally found out about him while he was eating our cat."

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas yelled at Dustin. "No!" Dustin tried to come up with an excuse, but nothing worked. "Dust, don't lie." Steve wrapped his arm around Julia, pulling her close to him.

Dustin sighed, "he missed me. He wanted to come home." "Bullshit!" "I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?"

"Oh, so now you admit it?" "Guys, who cares? We have to go!" Max tried to stop the arguing. "I care! You put the party in jeopardy! you broke the rule of law!"

"So did you!" "What?" "You told a stranger the truth." Julia rolled her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose as Dustin shined the flashlight in Max's face.

She scoffed, annoyed at Dustin. "A stranger?" "Both you get your heads out if your asses! You both broke a rule of law. But we can talk about that when there aren't hundreds of Demogorgons walking around Hawkins." Julia yelled at the arguing teens. A loud screeching echoed through the trees. Steve and Julia looked at each other before slowly walking over to where the screeching echoed.

"Guys?" Julia mumbled out to them, while they continued to argue back and forth. "Guys!" Steve yelled, grabbing their attention. Another screech echoed through the wood. Julia and Steve raised their bats and ran.

They stopped at the edge of a cliff, looking over the foggy town of Hawkins Indiana. "I dont see him." Dustin frowned. Lucas used his binoculars, "it's the lab. They were going back home."