chapter 24

The next day

Steve and Julia sat in the back room on their breaks as Robin worked at the counter. "I really missed the kids. Like I know I was only gone for a week but, you know I'm like their mom. Well okay maybe dad since you're the mom of the group."

Steve furrowed his eyebrows, "that is so- okay well- yeah I dont have an argument for that." He mumbled the last part.

He was about to speak again until they heard the familiar voice of Julia's curly headed brother outside the room.

Steve ran out the door only to stop in his tracks to see one of his best friends. Julia got out of her chair and watched the interaction. Steve raised his hands up, excitement written all over his face.

"Henderson. Henderson! He's back! He's back!" Steve exclaimed, Robin looked at Julia clueless.

"Robin, this is my younger brother Dustin." Robin nodded her head in acknowledgment.

"You got the job!" Dustin cheered. "I got the job!" Steve smiled brightly, using his hands to imitate him playing the trumpet.

"Is this normal?" Robin leaned closer to Julia as she whispered. "Happens all the time. Even if they haven't hung out in a day."

Steve and Dustin did their traditional handshake, Robin staring at the two. "How many children are you friends with?"

Steve sighed as he thought about that question. "I'll get you you're regular Dust. You two go sit down at a table." Dustin dragged Steve by the arm and took him to a booth.

"You know, you never told me how you and Steve ended up together." Robin said as she helped the girl scoop the icecream into a bowl.

"Well, that's a long story." Julia sighed out, memories of the Demogorgon and the mind flayer filled her head.

"Dude. I don't have a life outside of this job. I got time." Robin expressed.

"I'll save that story for another day. But to cut it short we were in a life or death situation and he did something stupid so I yelled at him for it and he ended up kissing me. Mostly to shut me up but I mean hey whatever works."

"How..romantic?" She snorted jokingly, "but really one day I would like to hear the full story." Robin nudged the girl, "and one day you will."

Once the girls finished preparing Dustin's ice cream, Julia offered to still help out but Robin was okay letting her spend time with her brother. Before she left she grabbed her drink from the break room.

"Hey Dust, where are the others?" Julia questioned as she sat down next to Steve in the booth. He instinctively put his hand around her waist and held her close. She rested a hand on his thigh as he pressed a soft kiss to her forehead.

"They ditched me yesterday." He mumbled, shoving a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth. "No." Steve said in denial.

"My first day back. Can you guys believe that shit?"

"Woah. Seriously?" Steve adjusted himself in the seat as Julia frowned at his story.

"They're gonna regret it though, big time, when they don't get to share in my glory." Dustin pointed his index finger at the two as Steve and Julia eyed each other.