chapter 2

Julia shuffled through her back pack to receive her text book, placing it into her locker. All of a sudden, she felt arms wrap around her torso, hugging her tightly. Tensing at first, she relaxed after realising it was Steve.

Resting her head agaisnt him, he placed his chin on her head. "How's it going? You ready for that test in 2 periods?" Julia groaned in response, slamming her locker shut,  hitting her head on it. "Please put me out of my misery." "Can't do that sweets."

Julia dreaded Human Anatomy the most out of all of her classes. The girl despised the class, even more than Phys Ed, only because that's how she met her best friend, her absolute favorite person in the world. In middle school, there was a big baseball competition for all the 6th graders.

Julia caught the ball that Tommy H had hit and pegged it at Steve who was running to home base, unknowingly hitting him where the sun does not shine. While Steve crying in pain, he gave the girl a high five for having a strong arm.

Since then the two have had a stronger connection than anyone in the school. They were one of the few friendships that lasted once they got to high school.

Steve released Julia as he saw his girlfriend Nancy Wheeler and her best friend Barbara Holland walk by. He said a quick, "I'll be back" then sped off after them.

Julia couldn't help but sigh in disappointment. Even though Steve's arms had left her body, her mind was entangled in thoughts about him. Opening her locker again, she looked at the photos that were carefully taped up. For her 17th birthday, Steve had printed out pictures of them through the years, from 6th grade to 11th grade.

Steve's 'friends' Tommy and Carol trudged behind him. Steve took the index cards from Barbs hands, ignoring the "Hey!" She said. Tommy stuck his finger in Barbs ear, Julia cringed and rolled her eyes at his uncivil gesture.

She was never big fans of Carol and Tommy. She knew she wouldn't like them as soon as Steve introduced her to them. She always felt uncomftorable around them. Carol stared at her as if she were a piece of chewed up gum on the sidewalk. Tommy stared at her like she was a fresh piece of meat, and he hasn't eaten in months.

Julia saw the way Steve looked at Nancy and her heart sunk into her stomach. Julia had tried many times before to move on from Steve, she had spoken to other guys, but none of them lived up to what she liked in a guy, what she liked in Steve. A familiar disappointment filled her head as she realized she wasn't going to get her happy ending.

Her glance moved back to her locker. That was what she wanted, someone who liked at her like she put the stars in the sky, but she knew that wasn't going to happen any time soon.

Turning her head, she saw one of her good friends Jonathan Byers. She approached him and noticed he had a pile of posters in his hands. The entire town knew about the disappearance of his brother Will.

"Hey Jon." Julia greeted him with a soft smile. He sniffed to clear his nose, then rubbed his eyes quickly. "Oh, hey Julia." Carol caught the sound of the girls name, "oh god look." she turned around and rolled her eyes. Looking at Jonathan, what she thought was a sad excuse for a human being.

"Listen, if you need anything please call me. You know my address, come over whenever you need okay? I want to do what ever I can to help you, I'll skip first period to help you put up posters if you need."

Jonathan stood there a bit shocked, his heart felt warmed. Everyone had been giving him sympathy, but no one in his school had offered him help.
He always thought of Julia as a sister, she was always very supportive of him and his family, even Wills friends of course.

She gave him a tight hug, he snuggled against her, holding on to her like he never wanted to let go. "Thank you so much." She nodded slightly, letting go of the hug.

She felt as though someone was watching her. Turning her head around, she saw Nancy, Barb, Tommy, Carol and Steve all staring at them. She placed her hand on his arm, reaching up to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Steve's fists balled up, anger rising in his stomach. He took a deep breath, letting go of the anger. "I'm always here." Giving him one last smile, she walked into her next class.

____________________________
Julia sat in Modern U.S. History class, quickly tapping her foot. Steve sat directly behind the girl, his fingers ever so lightly playing with the tips of her coco colored hair. Steve's mind wandered, thinking about how he needed more cans of Farrah Fawcett hair spray.

Mr. Stout had his back to the students, Steve took this chance to inform her about that night. He sat up from his seat, his lips brushed her earlobe.

" come to my place tonight." His warm breath tickled her as it softly blew past her cheek. She nodded her head, trying to ignore the redness on her face. She leaned back in her seat, tilting her head back to see Steve's face. She quietly laughed to herself as Steve playfully rolled his eyes.

He made sure no one was looking before quickly poking her nose with his index finger.