chapter 48

"Dustin!" The group called out loud through the house, still hearing his voice fade in and out throughout the empty halls and rooms.

Julia tried to peek her head in every room however she kept being pulled away at the hand by Steve as he hastily looked for Dustin.

Steve huffed out "Alright, either this kid can't hear us or he's being a total douchebag."

"Will found a way." Nancy spoke up, everyone's heads turning to the Wheeler sister.

"What?"

"Will. He found a way to speak to Joyce through the lights." Her voice trailed off as she walked away from the group and attempted to turn on a wall lamp.

"Nance, try the switch." Julia offered the
idea as she pointed to the dusty vintage switch "It's not working!"

"Guys?" Steve's voice broke everyone's thoughts, "you seeing this?" As the room filled the silence, the only sound heard was energy thrumming.

Steve's flashlight pointed to the ceiling light that ever so lightly glowed in the dark, decrepit room.

Julia couldn't help but move closer to it, seeing what looked like dust particles floating around in the air. A faint red orange color filled the small area.

Before she could stop herself, she slowly raised her hand up towards the light and went in to almost touch it; causing the light to go from a soft glow to fully lit up.

She continued to move her hand around as the glowing particles followed her hand movements. Her arm had felt like it fell asleep for too long but it wasn't painful, just felt like static.

Eddie and Robin moved closer to the Henderson sister as they watched in awe. Julia pulled her hand back for a moment before sharing a look with everyone. One by one they put their hands close to the ceiling light.

Steve's hand reached up next to Julia's, "it… tickles." He said with a confused tone at the end, his breath tickling the back of his Julia's neck.  "It kinda feels good." Robin softly spoke as she relished in the feeling of this odd situation.

Nancy lowered her arm as she asked the group, "does anyone know Morse code?" Robin, Steve, and Julia all muttered 'no'.

Eddie remained silent for a second before asking, "Wait, does SOS count? Is that…is that good?"

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

The group moved back to Nancy's room where they waited in anticipation for a response from Dustin.

The room was silent as they waited for anything from the other side. "Come on, come on." Steve muttered out loud as he reached down and instinctively held his girl's hand.

"You guys seeing this?" Dustin's voice echoed in the room, Julia grinning to herself as she gave Steve's hand two small squeezes.

Nancy waved her hand along the area on her bed where there was a faint red glow once again. Everyone stared in awe just like the first time they saw it happen.

"We're not moving it, but we're gonna unplug it. Stand by." Dustin called out as the soft glow looked as if it almost died out. "Try it now!" His voice came back.