chapter 44

Steve drove in the direction Max told him, everyone sitting in silence as 'Hard Feelings' by Al Kerbey played on the radio.

Julia's eyes kept shifting from the rear view mirror, to  Max, to the stack of letters she put Julia in charge of handing out to the others.

She looked at the one with El's name on it as it made her think about why El hasn't responded to the last letter Julia sent out to her. Maybe it got lost in the mail or she just forgot. All Julia could hope was that everything was okay.

Steve pulled up to her mother's trailer house and parked, Max already opening the door to head out. "This better be fast Mayfield."

"Twenty seconds." Max shut the door and ran to the front door.

"That things got batteries in it, right?" Steve looked back at Dustin and the walkie, Dustin looked up at the car ceiling, "I'm not even answering that question."

Julia pursed her lips in a small smile as she patted Steve's thigh. "Yes, it has batteries." Dustin leaned forward to talk to him. "Yeah, I got it."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Julia's leg bounced up and down as she bit down on one of her nails, her eyes never leaving the window as she waited for Max to walk out to the car.

Before she could stop herself she opened her door and just stood behind it as she began to get more nervous. The others joined her in her action as they too waited for the redhead to join them again.

Finally Max rounded the corner from her backyard, her face pale as she was trying to catch her breath.

"Hey, that was longer than 20 seconds." Steve said from the driver's side, "Hey, woah, woah, you alright?" He asked her as he caught the looks of distress on Max's face.

"I'm fine. Just drive." She said as she got into her seat, everyone followed her orders. "Did something happen?" Dustin asked.

"Can we please just go?" She avoided the question and begged, looking out the window as Steve pressed on the gas and reversed away from the trailer.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Max rested her head against the car window, "turn here."

Dustin took a glance out the window, "here?" Max slowly nodded her head as Steve pulled into the Roane Hill Cemetery.

He parked to the side as Max gets out of the car with a letter, Lucas quickly exiting and following behind her. Lucas begged the girl to open up to him, let him know how she was feeling.

A few seconds went by before Max walked away from Lucas up the hill. He sighed as he slowly trudged back to the car. He opened his door and sat down facing the direction Max went.

Julia got out and sat on the hood of the car, Steve joining her as he wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him as the two kept watch of Max.

Steve's fingers tapped on Julia's arm as he kept his sight on Max sitting at Billy's grave. Julia grabbed Steve's wrist and looked at his watch, he immediately jumped up from his spot, "Alright it's been long enough."

The two of them jumped down from the hood, "guys just give her time." Lucas said from his spot.

"We did." Julia said as she made her way towards Max, Steve stayed back for a second. "We're calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can."

"Max!" Julia called out as she got to the girl sitting on the grass.

"Ready to head out?" She asked as she got up close to the redhead, "Max?"