chapter 49

Steve leaned forward and interlaced his fingers to attempt to help boost Julia up when he became aware of how fast her body went stiff. He stood up and noticed how pale her skin looked: even from standing behind her.

'Please no. Please no.' Steve thought, his mind already knowing the answer to what happened. As soon as his eyes saw her caught in the trance, he felt his heart stop and his entire body run cold.

"Jules? Julia! Hey! Doll, hey it's me Steve." He raised his voice at first only for it to falter at the end as he watched her rolled back eyes twitch.

He gripped her shoulders with desperation, "Stay with me Julia Henderson! Julia! Hey!" His eyes started to fill with tears, normally he was the one in danger; seeing Julia trapped by Vecna and not knowing what would happen was killing him.

As soon as the others in the normal dimension heard Steve's anguished cries they rushed to try to see what happened as they peered through the gate. "Vecna." Max and Lucas spoke together as they looked at Dustin.

"Steve, don't stop talking to her. I don't care what the hell you say just do what you do best and say nonsense." The younger Henderson brother practically shoved his head down the gate opening and caught a glimpse of his older sister.

His face dropped in terror at the paralyzed state on her face before Eddie grabbed him by the back of his shirt and pulled him back to refrain him from jumping into the upside down.

"You guys, Nancy!" Robin called out to everyone in the room as she immediately noticed Nancy's eyes roll to the back of her head, her entire body went stiff.

"Wheeler? Come on Nancy, wake up. I don't like this. We need you guys."  Eddie's voice softly cracked.

"He's got both of them?" Dustin asked out loud to the group.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Julia's eyes clenched shut as she braced for impact; landing with a hard smack against what felt like concrete. She winced in pain and groaned as her ears were ringing, the impact of her head hitting the ground making her feel dizzy.

She rolled herself over slowly, trying to catch her breath as the wind was knocked out of her. Resting her hand against her ribs she gently sat up, that's when she noticed she wasn't alone.

Nancy Wheeler laid right next to her, groaning in pain as she too was impacted from the fall.

"Nancy!" Julia kneeled down next to the girl as the Wheeler sister lifted her head up to see Jules' worried face. With a hand extended out, she helped pull Nancy up to stand and balance herself.

The girls looked around the empty, vine covered swimming pool as Julia began to ask, "are we…" she trailed off as their eyes landed on a body engulfed in sludge and wrapped in vines. To be more specific, Barbara's body.

Nancy let out a cry of disbelief and shock as she held onto Julia's arm and gripped it as she was forced to look at her old best friends dead body.

"Do you remember what you two did? Julia? Nancy?" Vecna's voice grumbled through the air as the girls shared a regretting, knowing look. "Or have you already forgotten?"

Julia remembered the night better than she would've liked to. The feeling of embarrassment as she ran out of Steve Harrington's house, the heartbreak when she heard them having sex… not thinking about taking the extra 2 minutes to take Barb home safely.