chapter 20

Julia allowed Max to drive, solely because she was still a bit loopy from being tackled. She held an ice pack to the side of Steve's face which was rested in her lap. Dustin was next to her, who was next to Mike.

He lifted his head carefully, "Nancy? Julia?" He stared at Dustin and Mike who looked at him confused. "I'm right here Steve."

He looked up to her, "you're hurt." He mumbled. "Steve, you just got the shit beat out of you, and you're worried about me?" She smiled to him.

Dustin looked at Steve, "you put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight. You're okay buddy." Dustin spoke calmly.

"Okay you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai." Lucas gave directions to Max as she drove.

"What's going on?" Steve mumbled, Max turned her head to look at him. Julia reached forward lightly pushing her face forwards so she had her eyes on the road.

"Oh my god." Steve groaned in pain as he tried to move. "Steve relax, she's  driven before." "Yeah in a parking lot." "Oh my god."

"Steve!" He lifted his head up slowly. "Why didn't you drive?" He asked. "She got pummeled into the table." Dustin spoke for her. Steve's mouth dropped open, causing him instant pain.

Max stepped on the gas pedal, making Steve cry out, "woah! Slow down! Stop the car!" "I told you he'd freak out!"

"Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" "Oh wait! That's mount Sinai. Make a left." "What?" "Make a left!"

Max spun the wheel left, hitting a mailbox in the process. The group let out a collective scream as she continued driving.

She continued driving into the farm area until she slammed on the brakes. "Woah." "Incredible." Mike panted.

"I told you. Zoomer." Max smirked to herself.

The group exited the car, and went to the trunk. Steve slowly fell out of the car, and got back onto his feet. The kids began trying bandanas around their mouths and putting goggles over their heads.

As soon as Julia tugged on her goggles, she was trying to ignore Steve's mumbled protests. "Guys... no no.."

Mike walked by him carrying a tank of gasoline and a rope, "hey where do you think you're going? What are you deaf? Hello? We are not going down there right now! I made myself clear!"

Julia rolled her eyes and continued helping the kids by typing the rope to the front of the car.

"This ends right now!" Steve yelled, drawing everyone's attention to him. "Steve," Dustin yelled back at him, "you're upset, I get it. But the bottom line is, a party member requires assistance and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Now I know you promised Nance and Julia that you would keep us safe, so keep us safe."

Dustin handed Steve a backpack with the nail baseball bat. Julia walked over and patted her brother on his head, "go help the others." Dustin glanced between Steve and Julia as he walked off.

Steve sighed and crossed his arms. "This is such a bad idea." He mumbled at her. She walked forwards, placing her hands on her hips.