chapter 6

Julia stared at herself in her bedroom mirror. A black dress covered her body. 'I'm going to a funeral for a boy who isn't dead.' She felt as though she were the one going insane.

She knew it was fake, but yet it still felt so real. Dustin knocked on his sister's door, she allowed him to come in. He held a tie in his hand, his face begging for help.

She smiled at the helpless boy and sat him on the bed. She helped him with his tie and stepped in fromt of the mirror. "Everything is gonna be okay, right? We're gonna find Will, right?"

Dustin fiddled with his sleeve cuff, Julia thought about it for a moment. She wondered if everything will be okay in the end.

"I think we'll be okay and that we will find him and get him to Joyce and Jonathan safe." She kissed the top of his head, giving him a quick hug.

Julia drove herself and Dustin to the cemetery where Wills 'body' was going to be buried. Dustin stared longley out the window, as if he was contemplating everything as well. "Everything will be fine Dust." She reminded her brother. He simply nodded his head.
______

Friends, family, and classmates stood around the brown, wooden casket. The Byer family was seated, while the others were standing. Julia's hand on Dustin's shoulder, giving it a small squeeze. People lined up and threw a single rose on top of the casket.

Joyce stood there, her arms crossed on her chest. Julia walked towards her and embraced her in a hug. "We are going to do everything we can to find him." Joyce sighed in relief that someone finally believed her. "Thank you." Joyce felt grateful that Julia believed that Will was still alive.

"You must be Julia. I'm Lonnie, Jonathan and Wills father." He stuck his hand out to greet her. She shook his hand, "nice to meet you."

On the contrary actually, she hated that man. After hearing the stories about him from Will and Jon, she despised every bone in that man.

Jon walked up to Julia placing a hand on her back. "Thank you for coming." "Of course. I wouldn't let you be alone in a time like this." He quickly held and squeezed her hand before thanking her again before moving on the the parents of his brothers friends.
____________________________

Julia was locked in her room once again, her hands gripped onto one of the pictures that Jonathan had taken of her. She was looking at the one of her in the pool.

Her chest wasn't too exposed, but her white colored bra was exposed underneath. The smile on her face was genuine, for a moment she actually was having fun.

Then her gaze went to Steve. He was looking at her with a mixture of what looked like lust and love.

A part of her denied that, but the other part of her had hope that maybe they could be more than best friends. The sound of her window opening up made her hide the photo tucked underneath her bedside corner.

Steve walked in, the look on his face was disappointed. He sat on her bed and buried his face in his hands. Julia patted the spot next her as he laid down on his back, "she was with Byers." Julia positioned herself next to him on her back looking at her ceiling with him.

"Steve, your feelings are valid but think about how she feels when she sees us hanging out." " I know, I guess... I guess it just feels weird I mean- we've known each other since before I met Nancy and we were always like that but I guess I never thought about it like that." Steve admitted, rubbing his forehead as he exhaled.