chapter 45

The group had pulled up to Victor Creels house, everyone hesitated before they opened their doors to walk out in front of the abandoned estate. Max was the one leading the group up the steps as they paused to take in the scene.

Each and every window boarded up with multiple planks of wood, the vines from the trees draping over the roof meeting halfway with plants that grew over the porch.

"Yeah...that's not creepy." Steve said as he shook his head.

They headed up to the front door as Dustin opened his backpack revealing some supplies they'll need. Steve reached in and grabbed a hammer as he quickly started to pry out the nails that held the planks of wood down.

"What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve asked as Julia stood opposite of him with another hammer ripping out the rest of the nails in the door frame.

"We're not sure. We just know this house is important to Vecna." Nancy spoke up from behind as she imagined the drawings Max had created.

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?"

"Basically."

"Great." Steve slouched against the door for a moment before continuing.

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max." Julia raised her hand with the hammer up and pointed it in the direction of Dustin in agreement with him.

"We don't think he's in here, do we?" Lucas asked as Max responded from next to him, "guess we'll find out."

"Ready?" Steve asked his girl as she hummed a 'mmh.' The group behind the couple stepped back as they pushed the piece of wood that covered the doorframe down. Everyone's eyes landed on the dirt covered glass frame of the rose in the center of the door.

Steve attempted to open the door only to be stopped by the locks. "Should I knock, see if anybody's home?"

"No need," Everyone turned their heads to the blonde as she held up a brick, "I found a key." She smirked.

Steve and Julia stood in front of the kids as Nancy and Robin backed up from the front door. With a swift throw the heavy brick broke through the beautiful stained glass art.

Steve carefully reached in and unlocked the door as everyone slowly walked through, examining the decrepit house covered in dust and spiderwebs.

Lucas attempted to turn on the closest lamp only for it to just click and not turn on. "Looks like someone forgot to pay their electric bill."

Dustin pursed his lips as he turned on his flashlight followed by everyone else except Steve, "where'd everyone get those?"

Dustin turned around to him with a look of awe on his face, "do you need to be told everything? You're not a child." Steve glared at the younger Henderson.

"Thank you." Dustin hummed as he took his backpack off and passed it to Harrington, "back pocket."

"That's my man." Julia jokingly grinned as she placed a delicate kiss on his cheek.