chapter 17

Everyone turned to look at the younger Wheeler. "If anyone knows how to destroy this thing, it's Will. He's connected to it. He'll know its weakness."

" I thought we couldn't trust him anymore. That he's a spy for the mind flayer now." Max tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "Yeah but he can't spy-"

"If he doesn't know where he is." Julia came to the realization. Mike faced her, nodding his head softly. Hopper, went to the shed in the backyard, throwing all the supplies out of it.

Everyone gathered in the shed, taping plastic tarps, sheets, and tin foil around the walls and floor. Jonathan brought his brother out into the shed, placing him on a chair. Julia helped Jon tie Will down to the chair, including his arms and legs.

Steve rubbed Julia's shoulder, pressing a kiss to her neck, "everything is going to be fine." She nodded, attempting to believe his words. The lights Mike plugged in were shining bright on Will as Hopper woke him up using Ammonia.

Dustin, Nancy, Steve, Lucas and Max remained inside the house, all of them worrying about what was going to happen in the next few seconds, minutes, and hours.

Will looked around the room, everyone had their eyes on him as he struggled in the chair. "What? What is this? Why am I tied up?" Will grunted and heaved as he attempted to escape the rope that held him down.

Joyce squatted down to get to his eye level. "Will, we just want to talk to you. We're not gonna hurt you." The young Byers remained alarmed, not calming down. Hopper showed him the picture he drew of the shadow monster, "do you recognize this?" Will shook his head no.

"Hey. We wanna help you." Joyce's soothing words flowed from her lips, "but to do that, we have to understand how to kill it."

"Why am I tied up?" Will repeatedly screamed, thrashing around. The lights flickered, Julia pulled Mike back gently and placed herself in front. "Let me go!" Wills voice went from the familiar one, to distorting to a demon like cry.

Mike hid his face in Julia's back, not being able to see his best friend go through this. Wills screams simmered down into just his heavy pants.

Joyce sat herself down in the chair in front of him. "Do you know what March 22nd is?" He didn't respond, only stared numbly at the woman in front of him. "It's your birthday." Joyce took a deep breath before she continued.

"When you turned eight, I gave you that huge box of crayons. Do you remember that? It was 120 colors. And all your friends, they got you Star Wars toys. Julia here got you that rubix cube that you spent hours on."

Mike moved from behind Julia to her side, wrapping his arm around her side. She wrapped the young boy close to her, afraid if she let go he would get hurt.

"But all you wanted to do was draw with all your new colors. And you drew this big spaceship, but it wasn't from a movie. It was your spaceship. A rainbow ship is what you called it. And you must have used every color in the box. "

"Do you remember when dad left?" Jonathan spoke up. He walked over to his brother, tears swelling in his eyes. "We stayed up all night building castle Byers, just the way you drew it. And it took so long because you were so bad at hammering." Everyone in the room let out a soft chuckle.

"You'd miss the nail every time. And then it started raining, but we stayed out there anyway. We were both sick for like a week after that. But we just had to finish it, didn't we?"