chapter 46

Dustin ran through the trees as he followed his compass, Eddie close behind him begging him to slow down. "I think we're getting close!" Dustin turned his back to look at the group as everyone scrambled to keep up with him.

Eddie quickly grabbed the back of Dustin's shirt and pulled him back, "watch your step big guy." Eddie pointed to the lake he was about to fall into.

"Oh man."

"You gotta be shitting me."

"Yeah. I thought these woods were familiar."

"Lover's Lake." Julia was taken back to all the dates Steve took her on at this lake. All the nights they laid in hammocks or danced to music. Sometimes even late night skinny dipping but only they know about that.

"This is confounding."

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max asked as her eyes scanned the woods around the lake. "Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way." Nancy offered the idea. "Yeah, only one way to find out."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Eddie ripped off the blue tarp that covered a small boat. Steve helped the boy lift it into the lake, the brunette trying to set it down gently, while Eddie plopped it into the water.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna do that." Robin commented as she grabbed a hold of the boy's heads to steady herself as she made her way onto the shaky boat.

"Thank you." "Yeah that works too." Steve spoke under his breath. Nancy followed her as Eddie helped her in.

Julia walked on last as Eddie held out his hand to help her which she gratefully took as she found her spot next to Robin.

As Eddie was about to sit Dustin attempted to enter the boat but was stopped by Eddie's hand bouncing off his forehead. "Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us? This thing holds four people tops, okay?"

"It's better this way, okay? You guys stay here with Max. Keep an eye out for trouble." Nancy instructed him as Julia mouthed, 'sorry' to the kids.

"You keep an eye out. It's my goddamn theory!" Dustin yelled back, annoyance dripping in his tone "You heard Nance." Robin said to him.

"Who put her in charge?" The blonde shared a look with Julia, along with a quick head nod before they turned to the younger Henderson, "we did."

"Compass." Nancy held her hand out towards him, watching him pout as he pulled out the tool and passed it to her in defeat.

"Hey, there you go." Steve tossed his backpack to him, then turned to push the boat deeper into the water.

"You said four!" He yelled out as he watched Steve sit next to Julia. "Sorry." He whispered before putting up a peace sign with his fingers as they floated away.

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos!" Robin yelled out as she and Eddie began to paddle through the water. "Miss you already!" Julie yelled out.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Woah, woah, woah, slow down. Slow down guys!" Nancy instructed them as she watched the compass needles spin around in circles.