forty-one

IT WAS FINALLY MORNING, AND THE TEENS BOTH finished the mess that they had made

IT WAS FINALLY MORNING, AND THE TEENS BOTH finished the mess that they had made. The towers were covered with spider webs; but still they fixed some of the damage.

"I'm going to be so honest; I haven't been up at six AM in a while," Morgan said, rubbing her tired eyes.

Peter looked at her and started to chuckle, "we can get you coffee on the way back." Peter wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pecked her forehead. He began to hear his phone ring making him use his free hand to grab it from his pocket.

"Hey, May," Peter said, looking at the fixed wires above him.

Morgan poked his ribs, "Tell her I said good morning."

Peter nodded while listening to his Aunt on the other line.

"Hey, Peter. I'm at work, and one of the guys you're looking for just walked in," Aunt May said calmly.

Peter felt his stomach drop. Knowing that one of the villains would target May, who is vulnerable, made him freeze in place.

"Peter?" Aunt May asked, "Did you hear me?"

"We are on our way," Peter said, hanging up the phone and removing his arm from Morgan's shoulders.

"What's wrong?" Morgan asked, noticing the sudden change in his facial expressions.

"We need to go."

"Okay, but what's wrong?"

Peter shot a web, about to launch himself into the air. "One of the villains is at May's work."

That sentence made Morgan quickly wake up and lit up the purple orbits in her hands.

"Let's go."

Morgan didn't want to think about the chance of a villain hurting one of Peter's loved ones. Aunt May, his friends, and Morgan are all that he truly has. She didn't want to think about him being alone–she won't let that happen. Once they arrived at Aunt May's work, Peter wasted no time running inside and calling out her name.

"May?" Peter yelled as he was running down the hall. "Where's May?"

"Maybe she's in the back?" Morgan said, catching up to Peter.

Peter nodded at her suggestion and ran towards the back, making Morgan follow. When they both arrived in the back, they saw Aunt May talking with a man dressed in green and purple with donuts in front of them.

"Ah, hey, here he is," Aunt May said, smiling, seeing them in the doorway. "Norman, this is my nephew, and this is his girlfriend."

"Mary Jane?" Norman asked, looking at Morgan.

Morgan's stomach slowly dropped again before shaking her head. "It's Morgan." She turned to Peter, confused about how Norman was in front of them if Doc Ock had just said he passed a few years ago.