forty-five

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE BUGLE TIP LINE HAS received a call from one other than the fugitive known as Spider-Man, fresh from his rampage in Queens," The news reporter, J

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE BUGLE TIP LINE HAS received a call from one other than the fugitive known as Spider-Man, fresh from his rampage in Queens," The news reporter, J. Jonah Jameson, into his microphone. "So Peter Parker, what pernicious propaganda are you peddling?"

"Just the truth," Peter replied, holding his phone out to show his face, while Morgan stood behind the phone with a thumbs up.

"Oh sure," J. Jonah Jameson reacted, not taking the teenager seriously.

"The truth is that this is all my fault."

The News Reporter scoffed upon hearing that.

"I accidentally brought those dangerous people here," Peter admittedly said.

"Well, he admits it!"

"And if those people are watching, just know that I really did try to help you. I mean, I could have killed you," Peter spoke while looking down at the box in his hand. "At any given moment, but I didn't. My Aunt May taught me that everyone deserves a second chance. That's why I'm here."

"And where is "here" exactly?" J. Jonah Jameson asked curiously.

"A place that represents second chances," Peter answered, showing the Statue of Liberty in the background.

"The Statue of Liberty? Good God, folks. He's about to destroy another national landmark."

"World, if you're watching–"

"Believe me; the world is watching."

Peter took a breath and glanced at Morgan, who gave him a soft smile to encourage him. He looked back at the phone, "Wish me luck. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man could use some."

Peter ended the call and felt Morgan's hand softly touch his arm.

"You did well. I'm so proud of you," she said, hoping her words went through to him.

Peter watched her and softly nodded, "Thank you for everything."

Morgan reached to hold his face in her hands. Peter leaned into her warm touch and watched her brown eyes lock on his.

"Nobody has ever made me as happy as you do, Parker," Morgan confessed, knowing how little time they had left until the villains started to arrive. She smirked at him, "So go cure these villains so we can celebrate."

Morgan dropped her hands, leaving Peter's face cold and empty. She took a step back and looked toward MJ and Ned before turning back to her boyfriend.

"Good luck, Parker."

Peter didn't like how they were going to be separated. This was the first time they wouldn't go against a villain together. Though he knew she would be safe, it still made him worry.

He reached for her hand, "Be careful, okay?"

Morgan nodded at him softly. She was terrified, knowing they lost the last time they fought against a villain. "Everything is going to be okay," Morgan confirmed, hoping the outcome would not be as low as yesterday.