forty-seven

"IT'S BEEN A FEW WEEKS SINCE the fiasco on the Statue of Liberty, and Spider-Man's cultists continue to contend that the vile vigilante is a hero," J

"IT'S BEEN A FEW WEEKS SINCE the fiasco on the Statue of Liberty, and Spider-Man's cultists continue to contend that the vile vigilante is a hero," J. Jonah Jameson spoke into his microphone. "Well, if he were a hero, he'd unmask himself and tell us who he really is because only a coward conceals his identity. Only a coward hides his true intentions. Rest assured, ladies and gentlemen, this reporter will uncover those intentions come hell or high water."

Peter paused The Daily Bugle on his phone while taking his headphones out of his ear. He started to get anxious while walking toward MJ's job. He looked down at the note he was about to tell his friends. Peter kept re-reading the letter, scanning that everything flowed nicely and went straight to the point.

He took one last breath before opening the door and quickly spotted MJ near the counter. She raised her hand to wave in the direction of Peter. Peter's heart started to increase, thinking, did she forget?

He felt his heart deflate, seeing Ned walk around him and return MJ's wave instead. Ned walked around Peter without even turning back–that was all the confirmation Peter needed to know.

"I'm almost off, Ned," MJ stated, walking towards the register.

Ned nodded, "no worries." He spoke before sitting down at the counter to wait for his friend.

"Can I help you?" MJ asked, looking at Peter.

Peter removed his gaze from Ned to look at MJ, "Hi, I'm Peter Parker and–" He felt his voice leave his body, realizing what he had to say next. Peter felt the words, unable to leave his mouth. "Can I get a coffee, please?"

MJ nodded, slightly in confusion. "Sure, yeah, of course," she said, turning around to get Peter's coffee.

Peter exhaled before glancing at his notes app to review what he would say to MJ. He knew he had another chance to tell her everything. Peter couldn't mess this up.

"MJ? I thought you weren't scheduled today?" MJ's co-worker asked, coming through the door. She went around the counter towards MJ and waved toward Ned.

"I'm covering for Sasha," MJ answered, grabbing a coffee cup.

The co-worker shook her head. "It's supposed to be your day off; I got it," she insisted, grabbing the cup from MJ's hands.

MJ softly smiled at her, "Thanks, Gwen."

Gwen nodded sweetly, having her blue eyes lock on MJ's brown ones. "Of course," she replied while starting to make the coffee.

Peter glanced up from his phone to realize what was happening. Of course, the one time when he gained confidence, they were leaving.

MJ put on her coat, causing Ned to stand up as well. They started walking around Peter as if he was invisible to them. Ned bumped into Peter accidentally, causing Peter to give him his full attention, hoping Ned could recognize at least something of him.