4 • Sleepless Nights

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

"Pulchritudinous," Miss Olsen swung open the door to her office, revealing Stella diligently engrossed in her work at the desk. Stella's eyes shot up, brimming with curiosity at the unfamiliar term that had escaped Lizzie's lips. "When one possesses physical beauty," Lizzie clarified, taking a seat in the guest chair positioned before the desk, where Stella was seated. A warm smile graced Stella's face, and a delicate blush colored her cheeks.

"Well, aren't you winesome," Stella playfully retorted, eliciting a smirk from Lizzie. They reveled in the playful banter they had cultivated between them.

"What are you working on?" the teacher inquired, leaning forward in her chair, attempting to catch a glimpse of what the girl was jotting down in her book.

"Kinematics, distance, and displacement," the brunette responded, causing Lizzie's eyes to widen at the array of symbols and equations that seemed unfathomable to her.

"Could you explain it to me?" Lizzie requested, her curiosity piqued. Stella bestowed upon her a kind smile.

"Distance and displacement are two quantities that may initially appear similar but hold distinct definitions and meanings. Distance refers to 'how much ground an object has covered' during its motion. Displacement, on the other hand, refers to 'how far out of place an object is'; it represents the overall change in the object's position." Stella gestured along the page, showcasing meticulously written diagrams and neatly penned definitions.

"I can't fathom how your mind doesn't implode," Lizzie chuckled, surrendering her attempt to comprehend the complex concepts that Stella effortlessly grasped

"It's a risk we all willingly undertake," Stella nodded, playing along with the banter.

"It's lunchtime, do you want anything?" Lizzie rose from her seat and retrieved her purse from her bag.

"No, thank you," the brunette replied, wholly focused on solving a challenging problem. Lizzie turned to give her an unimpressed stare, but Stella was too engrossed in her work to notice.

"I'm getting you something. Tell me what you want, or I'll get you something you might not enjoy," Lizzie challenged, locking her gaze with the determined girl.

"I, uh... I'm good, really," the brunette waved her off, causing Lizzie to roll her eyes.

"Come on, baby, tell me what you want," the blonde's annoyance began to surface, and Stella froze, unable to function properly as the endearing nickname slipped from Lizzie's lips.

"Um, a sandwich?" the girl offered, and Lizzie nodded, giving her a wink before leaving the office. Ugh, women.

Ten minutes later, the blonde woman returned, carrying food from a nearby café. "I got you a grilled sandwich," Lizzie handed Stella a perfectly toasted delight filled with ham, cheese, and tomato.