38 • Coldest Winters

A/n: 😈😘😊

                ╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

25th of December,
2025

Stella hummed along to 'love story' as she sat alone at the café, stirring her coffee slowly, gentle not to spill the froth over the lip of the cup. She looked out the window to see busy people going about their busy lives. It fascinated her how little she knew of the person staring back at her, the reflection on the glass presenting a girl with a broken look in her eyes. She didn't recognise herself anymore, her features a mere broken shell of the person she used to be.

Voices turned into white noise as Stella's eyes drifted down to her coffee, the pattern in the froth ruined as she tapped her spoon on the side of the cup. The teaspoon clattered against the small saucer placed underneath her cup, the brunette slowly bringing the hot beverage up to her lips.

Her long brown hair flowed effortlessly to drape over her shoulders, concealing air pods blasting music in her eyes to try and drown out her own thoughts. Her chocolate eyes shone in the late evening sun as it radiated through the window and down onto her porcelain skin. She looked like a famous model, makeup concealing minor insecurities as natural blush covered her cheeks. Yet why did she seem so empty?

"Excuse me?" A small voice caught her attention, her eyes up snapping to gaze into a set of deep blue eyes. "We close in 15 minutes," The waitress spoke softly as her blonde her was tied back into a sleek low bun, her lips cherry red as she gave the brunette a small smile. A black apron snatched her waist, a pen and notepad in its pocket.

"Thank you," The German nodded, not giving an effort to drink her coffee faster as she stared out the window once again. The blonde stood awkwardly beside her, her mouth open and closing as if she wanted to say something. Stella bit her cheek as she watched the waitress behind her in the reflexion.

"If I may," She began, her German accent thicker than Stella's. "You've been here for hours, I was wondering if you are okay?"

Stella took another sip of her coffee, taking a moment before acknowledging the blonde once more. The brunette looked up at the tall woman, her eyes full of concern as she searched Stella's face for any indication of what she was feeling. "I'm alright," Stella spoke flatly, her eyes dropping to the small name tag pinned on the blonde's shoulder. "And what of you, Anastasia?"

"I'm well," The blonde smiled softly, silence falling between them as Stella straightened her back to sit up tall. The blonde noticed the well tailored clothing that clung to the brunette's figure, puzzling the girl as how someone her age could afford such luxuries. "Do you mind if I sit?" She asked, not waiting for an answer as she sat opposite Stella, the brunette went to protest but found it useless as the girl started to talk again. "How about you tell me about yourself, your name perhaps?"

"No," The brunette replied with a cold tone, her eyes drifting away to gaze out the window once again. The sun fell graciously as golden yellow tones flooded the dark academia café. Anastasia frowned softly, her eyes not leaving the brunette. Stella warmed her hands on the side of the coffee mug, holding it tight as her coat proved useful in the German winter.

"Who hurt you?" The blonde sat forward, her eyes empathetic towards Stella. Stella chuckled to herself, shaking her head softly before taking another sip of her coffee.

"Honey I did," She replied, taking a deep breath as she remembered staring helplessly into emerald green eyes, now she was forced to gaze into ocean blue ones. "Life is hard when everyone is against you, it's harder when you are too."

"Whatever you did, I'm sure it's not that bad," The blonde sighed, reaching out her hand to lay on Stella's. The brunette looked down at her hand, the way her fingers wrapped around her own sickened her. Stella stood abruptly, her chair frightening Anastasia the way it scraped across the wooden floor.

"Good evening," The brunette composed herself, not daring to look the blonde in the eyes as she paced to the door. Stella stuffed her hands in her pockets as she walked the snowy streets of Berlin, her breath visible as she felt the cool air invade her lungs. A champagne beige beret resting on her free chestnut hair, matching her cosy trench coat. Her attire was melancholy, not a splash of colour presenting itself as she walked through the crowds of people. She liked being invisible once again, unnoticed, irrelevant to someone's everyday life.

From the start of this story, it had always been the tale of the young and naïve girl who thought she could have it all. The house, the job, the girl. Yet it always seemed like a foolish dream too good to be true, so why did it hurt so much?

Six months earlier

As they made the decision to attempt baking chocolate chip cookies for their upcoming movie night, Lizzie and Stella giggled in a cosy, sunlit kitchen. The mouthwatering aroma of chocolate chip cookies permeated the entire room. A sly light twinkled in Lizzie's eyes as they jokingly combined the ingredients. With a mischievous grin, she quickly sent a handful of flour billowing through the air, covering Stella in a fine powdery mist.

Stella's cheeks were powdered with flour as she exhaled in surprise. She laughed contagiously, yelling, "Lizzie, stop!"

With malice glimmering in her eyes, Lizzie laughed heartily. "You deserved it!" The kitchen echoed with their laughter as she reached for another handful of flour, eager to join their floury war.

Stella, quick on her feet, retaliated by snatching a flour-filled sieve. She playfully aimed it at Lizzie, releasing a puff of flour in her direction. Lizzie ducked just in time, narrowly avoiding the oncoming cloud of white powder.

"Nice try, but you won't get me that easily!" Lizzie challenged, her competitive spirit ignited.

The two of them continued their playful flour battle, the kitchen transformed into a sweet, chaotic battlefield. Flour was everywhere – in their hair, on their faces, and even on Luna, who had joined in the fun, wagging her tail with excitement.

Between fits of laughter and spirited flour tosses, they managed to finish their batch of cookies. As they placed them in the oven, their hands brushed, and Lizzie leaned in to steal a sweet, flour-dusted kiss from Stella.

With the cookies baking and the kitchen a floury mess, they shared a warm, flour-covered hug, reveling in the delightful chaos of the moment. The cookies would be delicious, but the memory of their flour battle would live forever.

Lizzie hugged Stella tight, breathing in her scent as she stopped to appreciate how happy she was in the moment. "You mean the world to me," the blonde whispered.

Stella smiled wider than she ever though she could, her hands pushing the small of Lizzie's back harder into her body. "I adore you, bee,"

Lizzie hummed softly, pulling back from the hug. The blonde placed a soft kiss on Stella's blush cheek before pushing her back playfully. Stella squealed as she was forced back into the couch, falling over the side and pulling Lizzie down with her.

Lizzie swore as she landed on top of Stella, laughing harder as Stella wrapped her arms around the blonde's torso. Lizzie peppered Stella's face with sweet kisses, giggling to herself as the brunette tickled her.

After a moment Stella felt Lizzie relax into her, the brunette sighed and smile to herself as she stared up at the ceiling. "I want to stay like this forever," she whispered.

"The cookies will burn," Lizzie hummed, closing her eyes as she resting her head on Stella's shoulder.

"Let them burn," Stella mumbled, squeezing Lizzie tighter as she tilted her head to rest on the brunette's.

                  ╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

11/10/2023

<3