43 • Vicky

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Stella watched Lizzie's rhythmic dance among her blossoming citrus trees, a harmonious blend of nature's bounty and the joy in her partner's soul. The aroma of ripe oranges and grapefruits lingered in the air, a sweet testament to the successful winter harvest. Lost in her own thoughts, Stella contemplated the impending conversation she needed to have with Lizzie, knowing that delay might let Vicky intervene.

A heavy sigh escaped Stella as she noticed Luna, tired from her run, nestled on the sofa. The sight brought a soft smile to her face as she gently stroked the sleeping husky. Navigating past the tranquil scene, Stella ascended the stairs, leaving the kitchen behind.

Meanwhile, Lizzie, content with the fruits of her labor, placed the freshly picked produce on the marble bench. The open back door invited in the crisp winter breeze, while Lizzie, humming along to the music in her AirPods, surveyed the now-quiet house. Luna's return caught her attention, meaning Stella's return.

Perplexed by the silence, "Stell?" Lizzie called out, hoping for a response. Failing to find Stella on the ground floor, she gracefully climbed the stairs, her green eyes searching for any sign of her partner. The sound of running water guided her to the bathroom, where a slightly opened door revealed an unfrosted mirror. With a small smile, Lizzie ventured in, gently calling Stella's name.

The reflection in the glass framed a poignant scene: Stella, fully clothed, seated on the shower floor, her head resting wearily against the wall. The cascade of water soaked through her clothes, drenching her white top and soft glass skin. Lizzie entered the bathroom, a small, puzzled smile on her face.

"Bubs, what are you doing?" Lizzie's inquiry held a note of quiet concern as she observed Stella's unusual choice.

"Showering," came the monotone reply, Stella avoiding the emerald gaze of her partner.

Lizzie, noting the crystal-clear glass of the mirror and shower screen, realized the water must be freezing. "With clothes? That's not very smart, my love," she chuckled, opening the shower door.

A soft sniffle from Stella prompted immediate concern. Kneeling down in front of her, Lizzie turned off the water and felt the icy chill of Stella's skin as she placed a hand on her arm. "You are going to get sick," Lizzie tutted, shrugging off her own jacket and draping it around Stella.

Huddled and embarrassed, Stella laid her head on her knees. Lizzie sighed softly, joined her in the shower before she closed the door and sat beside Stella. Lizzie's back leaned against the cold tiles as she felt a shiver run down her spine. "C'mere," she sighed, pulling Stella's head to rest on her shoulder, the cascade of wet hair transferred its chill to Lizzie's shirt as she leaned into the embrace.

A suppressed sob caught Lizzie's attention. Gazing down, she saw Stella's trembling lip, the German struggling to contain her emotions.

"Are you okay?" Lizzie's calm inquiry was met with a soothing rub on Stella's arm. The warmth Lizzie radiated offered solace, and Stella snuggled closer, attempting to conceal the pain that had festered for months. The burden, a secret eating away at her from the inside, had become unbearable.

"No," Stella's voice, soft but shaky, resonated with the weight of anxieties. Her grip on Lizzie tightened, a silent plea to keep the woman she loved close.

Lizzie's heart shattered at the sound of Stella's broken voice, the weight of the revelation sinking in. She gently pulled Stella's head away from her chest, ensuring their eyes met, a world of unspoken understanding passing between them.

"I don't understand. Who did this?" Lizzie's voice held a mix of concern and confusion, her thumb tenderly wiping away the tears that streamed down Stella's cheeks. Tears fell silently as Stella struggled to articulate her words. "Tell me, sweetheart. I love you. No matter what it is," Lizzie encouraged, her voice a comforting whisper as she tucked a wet strand of Stella's hair behind her ear.