20 • Family

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

"Lukas!" Stella's voice echoed through the room, jolting her unconscious brother on the couch. With care, she set a steaming plate of sizzling bacon and eggs on the kitchen counter, a fragrant aroma enveloping the air.

Emerging from the depths of drowsiness, the brunette boy rubbed his eyes and stumbled toward the counter, dragging a stool along to perch upon. A curious glimmer danced in his gaze as he observed the breakfast spread before him. "Since when can you cook?"

Stella couldn't help but chuckle, a soft melodic sound that filled the room. "Since Vicky nearly set the house on fire when we first moved in," she replied, deftly serving two more portions onto plates for Vicky and herself. Her eyes drifted to the floor beside the couch, where she spotted a pair of the boy's discarded socks. A sigh escaped her lips as she bent down to retrieve them. "I forgot how messy you are."

A mischievous grin played on Lukas' lips as he shoveled scrambled eggs into his mouth. "I forgot how controlling you are," he retorted, his voice slightly muffled.

Curiosity tugged at Stella's insides as she noticed a folded piece of paper nestled among the contents of Lukas' bag. The words 'certificate of adoption' caught her attention, and she swiftly pulled it out. Lukas turned around abruptly, a sense of urgency flickering in his emerald eyes as he reached out to reclaim it.

Reacting quickly, Stella held the paper out of his reach, her grip firm. "Give it back!"

The girl pressed on, determined to uncover the truth. With a burst of energy, she darted into Vicky's room, aware that Lukas could easily overpower her. Startled from her sleep, Vicky's eyes widened as Stella leaped onto the bed, using the blonde girl's presence as a shield. The unspoken bond between Vicky and Lukas, forged through years of fierce protectiveness, provided a sense of security for Stella.

"What the hell?" Vicky's voice rang out, a mix of confusion and anger, as Lukas charged into the room.

Stella unfolded the document, her eyes scanning the words with lightning speed. Lukas' shoulders slumped, realizing it was too late to stop her now. Vicky watched the scene unfold, her own bewilderment growing, as Stella's jaw dropped and tears welled up in her eyes. "I'm adopted?"

"Stell—"

"Don't," a single tear traced its path down Stella's cheek as she hastily fled from the room, seeking solace within the confines of her own sanctuary. The door slammed shut, the sound reverberating with a mix of anguish and confusion.

Lukas stood frozen in the doorway, his heart sinking with a heavy weight. The air in the room grew thick with tension, as Vicky and Lukas exchanged a glance filled with shared concern. They both knew the significance of this revelation, the impact it could have on Stella's world.

Vicky, always the one to act swiftly, pushed herself off the bed and hurried after Stella. She found her huddled on the floor of her room, her body trembling with raw emotion. Without a word, Vicky sank down beside her, enveloping Stella in a comforting embrace.

"I had no idea," Vicky whispered softly, her voice laced with empathy. "Stella, I'm here for you. We all are."

Tears streamed down Stella's face as she clung to Vicky, seeking solace in her unwavering support. The weight of her newfound identity, the questions it raised, and the emotions it stirred were overwhelming. A tidal wave of confusion and a sense of loss crashed upon her fragile shore.

"Why didn't they tell me?" Stella choked out between sobs, her voice filled with a mix of anguish and betrayal.

Lukas, finally gathering the courage to face the consequences of his silence, entered the room hesitantly. He approached the two girls, his eyes filled with remorse and regret. "Stella, I never meant for you to find out like this. I found it when we went to Germany, I thought I was protecting you."