18 • Eggs

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

"Could you lend me your expertise for a moment?" Stella inquired, positioned in front of Lizzie's desk as the woman diligently typed away on her MacBook.

"Of course, go ahead," Lizzie nodded, her teeth tugging on her bottom lip, capturing Stella's attention as she shifted her focus towards the brunette's workbook.

Stella read aloud the task at hand, her voice resonating in the room as Lizzie's lips formed a pensive pursing.

"It requires you to delve into the interplay of nature and humanity: Environmental literature and ecocriticism often explore the intricate connections between humans and their natural environment. As a starting point, you could analyze how literature portrays the intricate web of relationships among human beings, ecosystems, and the environment," Lizzie responded with professional clarity, leaving Stella feeling disheartened and ready to give up, her head meeting the cool surface of the wooden desk with a soft groan of surrender.

"I give up," the brunette mumbled under her breath. Lizzie's brow furrowed at the sight of Stella's exhaustion.

"How much sleep have you been getting lately?" Concern laced Lizzie's words as her hand reached out to tenderly brush a loose strand of hair away from Stella's face.

"Not much," the brunette admitted, sitting up straight and rubbing her weary eyes.

"Why is that?" Lizzie's emerald green eyes bore into Stella's, brimming with genuine worry and care.

"Nightmares," Stella answered honestly, causing an immediate softening of Lizzie's gaze.

"What about, honey?" The blonde's voice dripped with sympathy.

"Well... since Mary's passing. You know?" Tears welled up in Stella's eyes, and Lizzie swiftly rose from her seat, moving toward her.

"Come, sit with me," the blonde urged gently, helping Stella to her feet and guiding her to the couch. They settled down side by side, Lizzie's comforting hand resting on Stella's knee as the brunette allowed her emotions to flow freely.

"The girl who passed away a month ago, I miss her so much. Everyone expects me to move on by now, but I'm just not ready. Why should I get to live a happy life when she can't?" Stella poured out her heart, her voice trembling with vulnerability. Lizzie was taken aback, unaware of the depth of the connection between Stella and the departed girl.

"I'm truly sorry for the loss you've been silently enduring for weeks. Grief is a deeply personal and individual journey, and there is no fixed timeline for healing or moving forward. It's completely normal to still feel her absence and yearn for her presence. Your feelings are valid, and it's crucial to grant yourself permission to grieve at your own pace. Remember, healing doesn't equate to forgetting or replacing her; it means finding a way to honor her memory and love while embracing your own happiness. It's not about deserving happiness when she can't have it; it's about cherishing her memory and forging your own path to healing and joy, in due time." Lizzie's voice held a soft, caring tone as she spoke, witnessing Stella's eyes light up with hope. "And El, you know you have me. Always. I'll be there to listen, to distract you from your troubles, or even to cry with you. I'm here."

Stella bestowed upon Lizzie a grateful smile as she enveloped the woman in a thankful embrace. "Thank you," Stella's words were hushed against the fabric of Lizzie's clothing, but the sentiment was loud and clear.

"You're most welcome, darling," Lizzie reciprocated the embrace, her heart warming at the familiarity of Stella's touch.

"Forget about the homework, my love. Let me drive you home," Lizzie reassured, her words filled with affection, as Stella disengaged from the hug.