a mother's regret

ARC2/ CHP 14: a mother's regret

The female figure stood in front of the vast open refrigerator; lost in thought as the coolness of the air enveloped her. not a peep could be heard.

 The bustling noise of the tavern seemed distant, as complete stillness enveloped the expansive rear kitchen. The back entrance of the kitchen, leading to the garbage cans in the narrow lane, was partially ajar, allowing the draft to enter like a deceased person's breath whispering against the ears of the living.

 the servers and bartenders were gathered in the rear, still to the point where the noise of their legs shaking could be heard.

the woman's expression turned sour and creases started to appear on her forehead. She took a bottle of beer and walked toward the figure before her and stood two steps away expressionlessly.

"What led you to this location, your arrival is causing alarm among everyone.  "

The man sneered, "Is this how you treat your valued patrons? I've been away for nearly 16 years. I expected a warm welcome at the very least."

The woman snorted, rolled her eyes, and stormed off to one of the stools, "You're not wanted here or anywhere near me."

"They say that the hardest part of life isn't making new acquaintances, but rather reconnecting with old ones. Don't tell me you haven't missed me, my dear," he taunted.

"Your very presence causes me pain. Only harm follows in your wake," she spat.

The man chuckled, "Ouch, you're really laying it on thick. But I assure you, I've come with good intentions this time."

The woman glared at him, her eyes filled with suspicion, "Get to the point."

"I've found your son," he stated matter-of-factly.

The woman's expression turned to one of shock and disbelief, "My son is dead. Don't make jokes about something so serious."

"I assure you, I wouldn't say something like this lightly. Park Jimin is alive and well," he replied, his expression serious.

The woman's eyes widened, and her heart began to race. "What do you mean, my son is alive? How is that possible? didn't he die after what happened in the orphanage"

 The man gave her a knowing look, " He was taken from there a day before."

The woman felt a wave of emotions wash over her, from relief to anger to confusion. "Who took him? Why? And why did you wait so long to tell me?"

the man's expression hardened as he said, " I needed to confirm some things before taking action"

she glanced at him with a complicated gaze, unsure why the man's demeanor made her bring back memories of the past. She knew that history was about to repeat itself.

"He's with the Jeons, isn't he?"

"You're as astute as ever, my dear," the man chuckled. "He seems quite enamored with them. He couldn't stop mentioning the Jeon name when we met."

A mixture of horror and concern washed over the woman's face as tears welled up in her eyes. "What do you mean 'met'? Have you seen him? What's he like? Did he ask about me?"

The man was amused. "He's memoryless, so stop pretending to be the loving mother. We both know better than that."

"As much as I want to blame you and make you pay for your actions, I know it won't bring me peace or ease the guilt and regret I feel. But I hope you know better than to toy with Jeon Jungkook. He is nothing like his grandfather."