The Weight of Guilt

ARC2/CHP20 :The Weight of Guilt

  The large and imposing mansion stood tall, radiating an eerie stillness that filled the air. There were no sounds to be heard, creating an unsettling quietness. Jungkook's heart raced as he entered the mansion, only to be met with a deep emptiness. There was no sign of life, no busy servants or diligent maids. Even his trusted brothers, whom he considered family, were noticeably absent.

Jungkook had rushed home with a fervor borne of desperation, driving like a madman from the airport to his house. The journey had left him trembling with anxiety, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. Yoongi's final message pierced through his soul, causing him to feel intense guilt and regret. If only he had returned ten minutes earlier when Jimin sent him that last message, maybe he could have checked on him and provided reassurance, sparing himself from the heavy burden of remorse he now carried.

The stillness in the air, thick with uncertainty, intensified the turmoil in Jungkook's heart. Every step he took filled him with fear as he ventured further into the mansion. He anxiously scanned the surroundings, desperately searching for any sign of life—a passing servant, a maid in the kitchen, or a guard at their post. However, all he encountered were empty rooms, devoid of any presence.

"Hyung!" His voice rang out, filled with concern. "Yoongi, Tae!" Jungkook called out their names, his words echoing through the vacant halls. With trembling hands, he reached for his phone, his fingers frantically dialing their numbers, hoping for a response, for some reassurance that they were safe.

As the phone rang in his hand, the sound seemed to emphasize the silence that enveloped him.  Yet, within the second ring, the call was abruptly ended, leaving Jungkook staring at the phone screen in disbelief. He desperately tried to process what had just happened, his mind struggling to make sense of the sudden interruption.

Taking a deep breath to steady his racing heart, Jungkook tried again. He dialed the number, anticipation building with each digit he entered. But before the first ring ended, the line was abruptly cut off once more, shattering any semblance of normalcy that remained. A mix of confusion and frustration deepened the furrow on Jungkook's brow.

Feeling an urgent need for answers, Jungkook's feet propelled him toward the grand staircase. He climbed the steps, his mind racing with questions and his fingers gripping the phone tightly.  ready to make his third attempt, the sound of rushed footsteps echoed through the hallway, jolting him out of his thoughts. Jungkook's gaze shot up, meeting Jin's figure as he hurriedly descended the staircase.

Jin's steps were quick, but oddly subdued as if he was carefully treading on tiptoes to avoid disturbing the peace. Jungkook's confusion only deepened at the sight of his friend's demeanor. Before he could utter a word, Jin swiftly moved towards him, his palm pressed firmly against Jungkook's mouth to stifle any sound that might escape.

"Shh," Jin whispered urgently, his eyes filled with a mix of concern and caution. "He's finally asleep without sedatives. We need to be quiet and not disturb him."

Jungkook's eyes widened, his mind now swirling with even more questions. Who were they trying not to wake? jimin? Why were sedatives necessary in the first place? Before he could voice his inquiries, Jin gestured for him to follow. Silently, they tiptoed down the corridor, their footsteps muffled by the plush carpet beneath their feet.

As they approached a closed door along the dimly lit hallway, his senses heightened. His eyes darted around, capturing every detail in the surroundings. His gaze fell upon his hyungs, Noah, and even his own mother, who were all sound asleep outside his room. They lay sprawled on the floor, their faces peaceful, cocooned in the warmth of pillows and blankets.