Burdened Hearts

ARC2/CHP23 : burdened hearts

"How is he?" Jin asked with concern, his eyes locked on Jungkook as he emerged from the medical facility.

Jungkook let out a heavy sigh, meeting Jin's worried gaze before closing the door behind him. "He's asleep and fine," Jungkook informed, his voice tinged with relief. "He said the pain has eased a lot and it's bearable now."

The journey to bring Jimin to the base for treatment had been challenging. After their initial conversation, Jungkook had allowed Jimin to rest a while longer since he claimed to be feeling much better. However, when Jimin woke up a few hours later, Jungkook informed him that an examination was necessary. Initially, Jimin seemed okay with it, considering he was well aware that something was seriously wrong. Bleeding in his lower region was not normal, and neither was the intense pain he had been experiencing. But when Jungkook mentioned that Jin would be the one to examine him at the base, it was as if he had asked Jimin to leap off a cliff.

Understandably, Jimin had unpleasant memories associated with the base, particularly the medical facility room. He fussed and grew angry, eventually resorting to punching Jungkook. As a result, Jungkook now sported a swollen cheek, but that was the least of his concerns. Convincing the adorable doll-like Jimin to come to the base had proven to be a significant challenge.

Jungkook had resorted to buying him numerous things and making promises, even accepting to accompany him when he visited Jonghyun — something he deeply regrets promising —All of this was done simply to coax Jimin into coming to the base. The struggle to convince him, combined with Jimin's fussiness, still sent shivers down Jungkook's spine when he recalled the ordeal.

And that punch, it had hurt like hell. When had Jimin become so strong?

"Cool," Jin replied, gently tapping Jungkook on the shoulder. "I think I'm going to start examining him now, just in case the pain returns. We can't afford to let it worsen."

Jungkook nodded in agreement, his eyes reflecting deep concern. "I'll be waiting here," he replied, his voice steady despite the whirlwind of emotions raging within him.

Jin let out a heavy sigh, feeling the weight of worry settle on his shoulders. His mind was burdened with thoughts and uncertainties, but he refused to let them consume him. Shaking his head in denial, he looked at the younger man with a mix of care and caution. Lines etched themselves onto his forehead, "It will take me some time," Jin admitted, his voice tinged with a sense of regret. "Why don't you go take care of your cheek? Put some ice on it and take a nap. You're exhausted."

Jungkook's eyes narrowed ever so slightly, revealing an unspoken tension that crackled between them. He stepped away from Jin, his voice firm "Just go take care of Jimin," he instructed his words carrying an air of command. He gestured towards the closed door, emphasizing his words. "I'll be in my office, in case he wakes up in pain. Come to see me the moment you are done."

For a fleeting moment, a flicker of hurt flashed across Jin's face. It was a brief glimpse into the inner turmoil he struggled to conceal. But just as quickly as it appeared, he composed himself, a mask of composure replacing the momentary vulnerability. Nodding silently, he managed a faint smile. "Alright, boss," he acknowledged, his voice weak but filled with respect. With that, he turned and walked inside the room.

Jungkook watched Jin's retreating figure. As his friend disappeared behind the door, he took a deep breath, trying to steady his own racing thoughts. before he turned and made his way toward his office.

As Jungkook entered his office, he closed the door behind him and leaned against it, his mind still reeling from the events of the day. He reached up and gently touched his swollen cheek, wincing at the slight pain that accompanied the touch.