The beginning

"Sora-chan, congrats!"

Sora was surprised when she received a call from Satsuki in the morning.

"Thank you...."

Sora had no idea why she was being congratulated. It was the first day of school today so it could be related to that. But since it was Satsuki on the other end, there was no telling.

"You have no idea why I just said that, aren't I right, Sora-chan."

"Yes...."

"So that means you don't know yet.."

"That would be quite obvious."

"Oh. Then I shouldn't have called. You'll know soon anyway. Bye bye. See you at school."

Sora sighed and hung up. Satsuki could be extremely exasperating in that way. A few minutes, Sora got a call from coach. She picked up with trepidation.

"Hello?"

"Is this is Himeji?"

"Yes."

"This is coach speaking. Come to school early today. About thirty minutes earlier than the usual time will be fine."

"Okay..."

---------

"You'll be leading the basketball team this year?"

Sora blinked. "Eh?"

"There are a few papers in the staff room that you might want. You'll find them on my desk. I think they're the previous stats of the team along with some more data. That is all. You can go."

"Umm."

Sora walked out in a sort of daze. Satsuki was waiting outside for her. "Well? What did she say?" she said, folding her hands behind her back. Sora just nodded.

"Congrats!" said Satsuki. "We're all counting on you, Sora-chan!"

---------

Sora found Akashi exiting Sanada's room. Akashi smiled. "I think you don't need to enter your coach's room, Sora."

"Eh? Why?"

"Because I think I have whatever you require." he said holding out the bunch of papers.

"Thank you."

"So you are the captain this year after all."

Sora nodded. "Yes."

"And?" said Akashi.

"And?" echoed Sora.

"You know what I mean."

"I know, Seijuro. Hmm... It's like the whole thing is more scary than elating."

"You'll do fine." said Akashi gently.

"But the thing is, if I mess up, I'll be breaking a one hundred year record." said Sora.

Akashi tried to say something but Sora interrupted him. "Yes, Seijuro. I know it's literally not a hundred year record."

"If you say so." said Akashi with a grin.

"Nae, Seijuro..."

"Hmm?"

"How did you ever get used to this?"

Akashi looked at Sora in surprise. "So you really are that nervous....." Sora nodded.

Akashi hesitated. "You don't. Sora.... I'm not going to tell you that this will be easy or not very much hectic from the previous year. The pressure will be tremendous and if you aren't careful, it will break you long before the finals. But in the end, you've got find a way and pull through. We all have to and the only way to do so is to become strong enough to cross whatever is in our path. But in the end, if you do pull it off.... Well, I don't have to say anything about that."

Sora nodded with a smile. "Thank you."

"I'm not done yet." said Akashi taking her hand. "You did help me a bit on this score last year. So I wouldn't be averse to returning to favour."

"Liar. You did it on your own. To quote you it was 'your own affair over which I had no part'"

"I may have been, ah, exceptionally rude during that time." admitted Akashi. "But that was one command you quite ignored, Sora."

"Well whatever." said Sora.

Both of them had walked to class during their conversation. Sora found Satsuki, Yukiji and Akira inside. "Morning." said Sora with a smile.

"Morning!" chorused Akira and Yukiji. "Congrats!"

"Thank you!" said Sora showing no sign of her previous discomfort.

"Does this mean that you'll be the one to treat us when we win the finals?" said Akira wistfully.

"Yeah!" said Sora with a laugh.

"You two are over confident." said Yukiji with a smile.

"Well, this is our last year at Teiko. Let's go out with a bang!"