Three mysteries

"What is it, Satsuki-san?"

Sora was quite surprised. Satsuki rarely sounded so earnest about something. Satsuki had done a lot for them in the past and Sora felt really inclined to help her.

"It's reporting club business." said Satsuki.

"Go on."

"Well, this is the thing!" said Satsuki. "We were asked to do a column with a specific topic for the coming week, you know since it's the first one of the year and all. And I chose 'Three mysteries of Teiko'. I know it sounds ambitious. The thing is, I can't find a good story. One that nobody knows. All I know are the oldies. Teiko really doesn't have any mysteries. If it was under normal circumstances, this would have been a clinch. But I have a short deadline so I can't do it alone. What am I supposed to do?"

"Mysteries as in?"

"Ghosts, unexplained occurrences, unsolved cases.... Anything of that sort."

Sora took in her breath. This was going to be a tough one. "Where do we start?"

"Eh?" said Satsuki.

"If there's a story, there's a good chance that you'll find out about it. Believe me. I'm new to this, so you've got to show me the ropes. Where do we start?"

"Yay! Thank you, Sora-chan." said Satsuki. "Oh! I know. Let's go around the school. Every part of it and see if it kindles anything in our memories."

"Sounds good." said Sora.

------

"Hmm.... It's highly unlikely that we'll get something when we're going in circles like this." commented Sora.

"A couple of stories occurred to me. But their all quite well known." said Satsuki. "Like the see-saw caper, the bat in the storehouse...."

"If you're looking for something like that, there's always the light bulb in the lab...." suggested Sora.

"They're all solved ones." said Satsuki with a shudder. "There's no flair in them at all."

Satsuki and Sora turned the corner and cannoned into to someone. That someone shrieked and hugged the water dispenser.

"Oro? Kise-kun?" said Satsuki.

"Why are you hugging the dispenser?" said Sora.

"So....Soracchi, Satsukicchi...." said Kise shakily. "You scared the hell out of me." Sora and Satsuki looked at each other. "Nae, are we that scary?" said Sora to no one in particular.

"It's true that my hair is a bit messed up..." muttered Satsuki, running her fingers through her hair. "But, mou! I'm pretty as I am!"

"It's not that." said Kise apologetically. "It's just that, there's this rumour going around."

"Rumour?" said Satsuki brightly.

"Yes. Apparently all the blondes in the school are being attacked." said Kise with a whine.

"Eh? What do you mean?" said Sora.

"Yukiteru from our year told me the story." said Kise. "Apparently it's a youkai. It's a female who desperately wants to be blonde. She curses everyone with blonde hair because she gets jealous because of her unfulfilled desire."

"That can't be true." said Satsuki sarcastically. Kise shook his head violently. "Two students are already down! There's a second year and someone from our class. One has called sick while the other broke his leg the other day."

Sora simply facepalmed while Satsuki countered his statement. "Kise-kun, he's not really sick you know. Chiaki-san saw him at the arcade on her way home." But Kise simply refused to believe her.