The emperor and the cat

Akashi had been having a hectic day but there was no way he was going to admit it. He had had a really hard day in the council office. There were a flood of people who had brought in weird items like bongos because of Oha-asa and he had had to confiscate and label them to prevent confusion. He had surprisingly misplaced a few minor things but that was still unlikely and it just looked like things weren't going his way. In addition, he had refused to talk to Sora as long as she had the cat next to her and that had led to an awkward silence in the council room. Yet he was the one who got the worst of it as she seemed too absorbed in the cat to notice.

Akashi noticed Akira hanging around moodily at the entrance of his class and paused. "Having a bad day, Tamotsu?" he said sympathetically.

Akira's first response was a loud sneeze. "I can't go in!" she wailed.

"Are you that allergetic?" he said, surprised.

"Not that much," she confessed. "I just sneeze if the hair enters my nose. But for some reason, I'm scared of this beast! I haven't been able to talk to Sora-chan at all. She keeps the cat with her at all times. Mou! It's frustrating."

Akashi looked at her thoughtfully. "You have an ally," he said and dragged her in. "Sora!" he called out.

"What is it?" said Sora, not looking up from her desk.

"Tamotsu is too allergetic to the cat."

"So?"

"Get rid of it."

"Don't worry, Sora-chan. It's not that bad..." began Akira but Akashi stepped on her foot sharply. "Ouch!" exclaimed Akira and then subsided. Sora glanced up. "No," she said resolutely.

"I cannot admit an animal into the class when a student is so allergetic..." began Akashi.

"Satsuki-chan, it's done," interrupted Sora.

Satsuki along with Yukiji and a few other girls converged soon. "Show it!" said Sastuki impatiently. Sora lifted up a small collar made from a white ribbon. She had knotted it intricately and it looked like she had been working on it for the last half hour. "Would you like to put it on him, Satsuki-chan?" she said.

"Don't mind if I do!" said Satsuki and lifted it reverently. Yukiji lifted up Kuroh while Satsuki slipped on the collar. "Kawaii!" exclaimed a few others and they dispersed only after thoroughly stating their strong feelings for its beauty.

"Even you can't do anything about this one," said Akira shaking her head. "Let it go, Akashi-san, this seems to be just a bad day." Akashi snarled in reply.

Akashi made it through the day and barely managed to keep his temper. He made his way up to class to clear his locker and leave and then he remembered that he had promised to take the cat home. He then set off in search of Sora because there was a good chance that the cat would be with her. His guess turned out to be accurate. Sora was sitting on a bench with Kuroh next to her. The cat was peacefully sleeping next to her. On some impulse, Akashi said "Sora, I need to speak to you."

"Eh? Sure," said Sora putting aside her work.

"I need to sit down."

"By all means."

"That cat is sitting in my place," he said vehemently. Sora looked at Kuroh like she didn't have the heart to rouse him. "Can you take one of the other benches, Seijuro?"

"I want to sit there."

Sora put down her pen sharply. "For God's sake, are you competing with the cat again? Why?"

"Don't talk to me like that!" he snarled.

"You're unreasonable!"

"You ignore me for a mere cat! What sort of a woman are you?"

"If I'm so 'fickle' then why are you so worried, Akashi-san?" she shouted and then realized that she had called him by his surname and then choked. Akashi looked at her, simply lost. "So that's it?"

"Go... Leave...." said Sora quietly.

"Sora, are you upset?" said Akashi.

"Go..."

"I can't..." muttered Akashi. "What did you do... I can't go..."

"Please?"

"Don't be upset.... Not for my sake," said Akashi.

"Sorry. I don't know what to do."

"Smile, witch," said Akashi touching her cheek gently. "Or I might join your pity party... Do you want to hold the record for making me upset..."

"Sorry...."

Akashi considered. "Do you really want to make up?"

"I didn't do anything wrong... But whatever... Anything," said Sora.

"Sora, everything I say just keeps going wrong today... But, I'm going to the square near the mall the day after tomorrow. I need some stamps for the council and there are other odd jobs too... But anyway, I understand if you are going to decline, since I seem to be cursed... Will you accompany me?"

Sora looked up and then blushed. "Okay..." she said hesitantly.

"You will?" he said, surprised.

"No matter what you fortune be, remember?" said Sora with a slight smile.

Akashi paused. "I might not bring Kuroh...."

Sora laughed. "My, my... the emperor is jealous. Fine. I won't look at anything save you if you're so desperate."

"I'm not desperate..." said Akashi and then smiled. "Let's see if you can keep your word, woman."

Akashi picked up Kuroh gently. The cat stirred and opened its eyes but Akashi rubbed it gently. It decided that he was safe after all and then continued its nap. "For the record... I do like cats," he said with a slight wink and left.

Sora sighed. "He's hopeless. My emperor...."