Revisions

"Okay, Tetsu. Our mission is to resolve the dispute between Ms. Empress and Ms. Temper tantrum here," said Aomine patiently.

"Why does she get the cool nick name?" demanded Akira.

"Because she hasn't interrupted my speech for the last ten minutes while you haven't let me speak at all!"

"Aho."

"Well, the point is, even if you are foes for life, yadda, yadda, there's no reason that you shouldn't play basketball."

"Your philosophy on life is pointless," said Akira.

"Oi, Himeji, just because I said that your silence is valued, it doesn't mean that you have to stay shut the whole time," said Aomine.

"You're making us nervous, Himeji-san," said Kuroko.

"Thank you," said Sora evidently straining herself, "I really appreciate the effort. But, I don't know how far your venture will go."

"That's nonsense! Akira will see clear once we knock some sense into her," assured Aomine.

"Excuse me! When did I become the villain here?" said Akira.

"Tell you what... I know what's wrong. It's her mouth, isn't it?" said Aomine, "I'll give you one free shot..."

Sora's lip twitched. "Thank you, but no."

Akira's jaw dropped. "Were you really considering it, Sora-chan?"

Sora cleared her throat. "I'll just get going."

"What? Then why did you guys drag me here?" demanded Akira.

"You get going. We'll continue this operation," said Aomine.

"Hold your horses! Then what am I supposed to do?" said Akira.

"Let's play basketball."

"What? Basketball?"

"Yeah. The game where we use this huge bouncy, orange ball. You know, the one where you guys act like zombies and I'm like a lone apocalypse survivor. Seriously though, you guys have to pick up your pace if you're planning to play against me..."

"Is that what you think of us?" said Akira.

"More or less..."

"I'll prove you wrong!"

"She is so easy to manipulate!" whispered Aomine to Kuroko with a wink. "Aomine-kun, you need to quit bullying Akira-san," pointed out Kuroko.

Sora left the court with a smile. These people seemed to grow on you. But fate looked like it wasn't done with her yet that day. Sora chanced to run into Mai on her way out. Mai was standing in front of the school notice board. She seemed to be looking at one of the notices. Sora went closer and caught sight of a flashy invite. It was a swimming contest. At once several things clicked into place.

"You don't swim anymore?"

Mai jumped and turned to see Sora behind her. Her brow creased a little but still she nodded. "Why not?" queried Sora.

"Every day after practice, I go back home with aching muscles. Sometimes feel like I don't want to move and I just want to nap," confessed Mai.

"But you were a swimmer... Surely..." began Sora. Mai just shrugged and cut her off, "I'm not sure, senpai. I just don't want to."

Sora bit her lip. "I know we got off on the wrong foot..." Mai laughed. Sora smiled too, "We got to know each other on the worst terms possible but do you have time for a little chat with your nemesis?"