Appraisals

"Anything we need to know before we begin?" said Akira.

"There's not too much. I guess you know about number 4 vaguely. He's a shooting guard. The short one is the point guard," said Sora.

"Finally! Someone who you don't have to crane your neck to look at. Are all point guards short?" Akira wondered out aloud.

"Shut up," said Sora rolling her eyes. "Well, as for the rest, the one with the weird hairstyle wearing the number 15 jersey is the center."

"Does he cut his hair with a lawnmower?" said Yukiji.

"I've asked him before. He didn't give a clear answer," said Sora grimly.

"Since when have you been interested in weird hair?" said Akira.

"The day I joined the student council," said Sora grimly. "Seijuro's probably going to take a scissor to it one of these days if that guy isn't careful."

"Now, now, we wouldn't want that, wouldn't we?" said Akira.

"Okay. Enough about hair," said Aoba. That brought Sora out of her reverie. "Anyway he's a good player and right now that's all that matters."

"Who's the one that looks like a light house?" said Yukiji.

"Oh, number 8? He's the power forward," said Akira.

"Good luck. You're going to need it," said Yukiji.

"Hah! As if! Just because he's a few inches taller..." said Akira.

"Says the person who believes the whole world runs on height," said Sora mildly.

"Shut it, chibi," said Akira.

"Do we really need to know who our opponent is?" said Mayu who was fidgeting in her seat.

"Sorry, but I don't believe in rushing in blindly," said Sora. "Mayu-san, you wanted to play on the inside, am I right?"

"Yeah."

"Then you should be watching out for him," said Sora pointing out to the boy with the weird hair again. "Center. Word to the wise; get used to the hair."

"Is it so?" said Mayu thoughtfully.

"Aren't we missing someone?" said Akira.

"Now that you talk about it..." began Sora.

"Akira-senpai! Sora-senpai!" someone yelled.

"Uh-oh..." chorused Sora and Akira.

Someone came to a sharp halt in front of them both. "Senpais.... Sorry for being late... Caught up... Unavoidable.... You playing?.... Me too.... Met Seijuro senpai outside.... He just told.... I didn't know... Sorry for being late...."

Sora and Akira were left dumbfounded by his energetic and incomprehensible speech. They stared at him quite blankly as his speech took a few seconds to sink in. Luckily, he was called away by number 4 to discuss tactics.

"Who did we just have the pleasure of meeting?" said Yukiji.

"Number 7," said Sora slumping on the bench. "Small forward and final member of the lineup. First year. Talking to him always makes me dizzy."

"I don't know where the hell he gets his energy from. He's worse than aho at times," said Akira shaking her head as if to clear it.

"But the guy's has got killer stamina," said Sora. "I have to admit that. I was called for a sort of appraisal which was where I saw him play first. This is going to be troublesome."

"And that was the second string of the boys' team," announced Akira. "Which was why I told you guys that this whole idea was stupid in the first place."

"If this seems stupid, then participating in the tournament is stupid," reminded Sora.

"Seriously, foosball seems to be in his element today..." said Akira squinting at the opponent's bench.

(A/N: Foosball as in the game.)

"Foosball?" inquired Aoba.

"She means number 7," explained Sora.

"Why foosball?" said Yukiji.

"I've never really understood foosball. It's just so fast and meaningless and weird..." said Akira turning a pair of imaginary levers in the air.

"Just because you don't like foosball doesn't mean it's a bad game," said Mayu.

"More importantly, quit staring at the opponents. It's rude," said Sora with a small laugh.

"Go to hell, chibi," said Akira.

"So, what are our plans?" said Mayu looking at Sora. Sora simply shrugged. "I don't know. This time I'm going to do what you guys tell me to. I have one piece of advice though. The guys seemed to have finished planning, so if you want a plan, come up with something quick."

The team exchanged glances. "I've got one," said Akira.

"Do tell..." said Mayu sarcastically.

"We go in there.... And play," she concluded lamely. Mayu and Aoba facepalmed but Yukiji and Sora looked at her thoughtfully.

"You're suggesting freestyle? That goes against the whole point...." said Sora.

"You want to do something else?" said Akira quickly.

"Nah. Don't mind me."

"Any other suggestions?" said Mayu.

"Whoever has the ball gets to stand near the hoop. Less distance more accuracy," said Yukiji.

"Sounds okay..." said Aoba.

But Sora's lip twitched and it made the rest of them nervous. "Sora-chan! Quit acting creepy already," groaned Akira.

"Was I? Sorry. But let's go. The match is about to begin."