The swap

Mayu let out a little huff. "I don't feel like practicing at all!"

"But this isn't like the soccer club. It's almost impossible to get a day off," said Miyu.

"I know right!" said Mayu. "Even if Sora feels generous today, I would have to beg coach to let me off the hook. Nae, Miyu... Can we cut together? Then I won't be alone when I get my dose."

Miyu shook her head. "I sorta want to go today."

"That's easy for you to say. You're just sitting around while we all sweat."

"Oh, you think so?" said Miyu, stung. "Try being the manager for one day."

Mayu's eye glinted. "Not a bad plan at all! Why don't you play today. I'll just sit around and pretend to take notes."

Miyu considered the idea. "Okay. I want to know how it is to play too, so I agree."

---------

"You're awful quiet today, Mayu-san," said Sora.

Miyu nodded fretfully and shut her locker. She didn't trust herself to speak right now. Even though they were twins, she knew that Mayu's demeanor was a sharp contrast to her's and that she could blow away their cover with one wrong word.

"Is something wrong?" persisted Sora. "I can help you know. Just give me a hint and I'll try to understand. I can't just pass up on a team mate."

"It's nothing," said Miyu sharply. Sora nodded though she didn't look convinced. Miyu thought that she sounded a bit like her twin at that instant. She didn't intend to snap at Sora when she seemed genuinely worried. On the other hand, now she simply couldn't afford to mess up. She would risk disappointing the whole team.

-------------

Sora and Akira were fervently dissecting the training menu.

"Of course it's going to be tough! The prelims are near. There's no use reasoning with her. We've got to grit it out," said Sora.

"I'm not complaining," said Akira. "If anything I wholeheartedly agree. Will you be alright?"

"Of course! What do you think I am Akira-san?" said Sora sticking out her tongue slightly.

Miyu listened to this with a bit of apprehension. Even the regulars would probably have a tough time today. She cursed herself for not checking the menu before agreeing to Mayu's scheme. They were shortly joined by the coach after which practice began. Miyu found herself sweating buckets and panting badly. Sora glanced at her and halted the practice in a few seconds.

"Okay. So we'll postpone training like this till tomorrow," she said.

"I knew it, Sora-chan! You should take it a bit more easier," chided Akira. Sora opened her mouth slightly as if she was going to reply but then reconsidered.

"We will go on with the usual schedule," said Miyu firmly through her sharp breaths. Sora looked at her critically. "You shall listen to what I say."

"What's going on?" Coach had come to investigate. "Coach, can we continue training on the new schedule from tomorrow?" said Sora. "Do you think we have time for that?" began coach. Sora took her dose silently and managed to get consent for a short break. As they headed towards the benches, Sora caught up with Miyu. "Hmm... Mayu-san, why don't you... take a break?" Miyu stiffened. So she had guessed after all. But Miyu also knew that this would only make her twin more determined to pull of the prank. Miyu looked forward to continuing practice with a sort of thrilled dread.

----------------

"Mayumi Kouchizuki! Stand up straight at once." Coach was literally glaring at Miyu while the rest of her teammates were looking at her with pity. Miyu saw her twin on the bench clutching the edge till her knuckles were white. Miyu tried to straighten herself but she just couldn't her back seemed almost frozen and her mouth seemed to be completely dehydrated. Miyu couldn't understand how the others went through this every day. Miyu tried to run but ended up collapsing on the floor.