Mayu's quarter

It was Mayu's quarter. The second quarter had a bit of a charged beginning. Both sides had now realized that winning this match did matter a lot. The tip-off began.

Number 7(sf) took the ball. He was blocked by Akira. He faked a drive and Akira reacted. He did a bounce pass to number 8(pf) who was waiting. He then bypassed Akira and received a pass from number 8(pf). He tried to pass to number 4(sg) but Aoba took the ball. She passed it to Mayu. Mayu rushed towards the hoop. She was blocked by number 15(c) and winced a bit when she caught sight of his hair again. Nonetheless, she took the shot.

28 – 20.

Number 8(pf) had the ball. He passed it to number 4(sg). Aoba tried to block him but number 7(sf) screened him and he took the shot.

28 – 23.

Akira had the ball. She passed it to Yukiji. Yukiji was double teamed by number 7(sf) and number 8(pf). Number 8(pf) took the ball. Number 8(pf) passed the ball to number 4(sg).

28 – 26.

"Uh oh," said Sora.

"What wrong, Sora-chan? It's just three shots..." said Akira.

"Oh, no, no," said Sora. "That's not what I'm worried about. It's that," she said, pointing. Number 4(sg) was saying something to number 7(sf) and number 15(c) who were vigorously shaking their heads. "What's that all about?" said Akira.

Yukiji got the ball. She was blocked by number 8(pf). She passed the block and gave the ball to Akira. Akira went forward and passed to Mayu. Mayu suddenly found herself double-teamed by number 7(sf) and number 15(c).

"What on earth?" said Mayu. She panicked slightly and ended up losing the ball to number 15(c).

28 – 28.

"What?" said Akira.

"That's number 4(sg) for you! Veterans do really count...." said Sora.

"And remind me why you are happy, Sora-chan?" said Akira.

"Because everything is according to my calculations."

"You knew they would pull this?" said Akira incredulously.

"What are you talking about?" said Sora impatiently. "This is what any rational human would do if they were in their situation."

"I'm a rational human being," said Akira.

Sora sighed. "Okay. I'll explain. We have only one person who can score. Cut off her ability completely and the worst case scenario for them is a stalemate. In other words they'd have completely frozen our ability to score."

"And what do we do?"

"Do what any rational human being would in this situation," said Sora with a laugh.

"I'm not sure whether Sora-chan is playing this match," said Akira to Yukiji who had come up.

"What do you mean? She's in the court, isn't she?" said Yukiji, confused.

"No! I mean playing with her heart," said Akira in an irritated tone.

"Oh. Sorry," said Yukiji. "I guess she'll start 'playing' if we ensure that we don't get beaten up even without her help. She told us that was the point, right? Learning to sync with all the other four players and not only the one or two that you are familiar with."

"That's sh*t!" said Akira but she looked slightly thoughtful.

Number 8(pf) got the ball. He passed it to number 4(sg). Aoba knocked it out of his hands and passed it to Sora. Sora passed it to Yukiji who in turn passed to Mayu. Number 7(sf) and number 15(c) stepped in. Mayu moved forward trying to shake them off but she was unsuccessful.