Cold metal

The square had quite a crowd even though it was early in the morning. Akashi had agreed to meet her outside the arcade principally because it was the most noticeable building there. Sora had arrived a few minutes before the time they'd agreed to meet and wondered whether he would be there. There were a few gumball machines in front and Sora decided to buy some. The candy rattled down with a small click.

"Gumballs in the morning and God knows what later. It's a mercy your teeth are still intact," said a voice teasingly.

"Seijuro!" exclaimed Sora.

"You're early."

"And you are.... earlier," pointed out Sora.

"I know. I'll have the red one please."

"Okay," said Sora handing over one of the gumballs. "I never thought you were a gum person..."

"I'm not. I'll make an exception now I suppose."

"Neither am I. I wonder what we'll do once we've finished chewing. I can't see any trash cans..."

"Enjoy the moment, Sora."

"Is this really you talking?"

The morning was quite cold and Sora pulled her scarf a bit more tightly around herself. She noticed that Akashi was wearing a reddish hoodie. This was quite different. He looked almost like any other guy with his fuzzy hoodie and head-phones slightly sticking out of one pocket. And he was humming something that sounded suspiciously like Bach with a small smile.

"Seijuro, you're wearing a hoodie..." said Sora with a smile.

"Any reason I wouldn't? I thought you would prefer that I were a bit informally dressed. But if..."

"No! It's just that you look... harmless. Almost sweet..."

"Almost? Come, Sora. How can I be called scary?" he said with a grin.

"Says Mr. I-am-the-devil."

"Well, I suppose so. Except a certain obstinate woman, I guess most are rather respectful."

"I don't know. Every time you threaten me, I feel more like daring you to actually do it... It like it's all some poor sham."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Where shall we go?"

"You had some errands to run, no?"

"Oh, that..." he said rubbing the back of his neck. "I arrived early and took the liberty of finishing them. So where to, my lady?"

"Wherever the wind takes us I suppose."

"So be it."

Akashi smiled and gently linked his arm through hers making her flush slightly. They began strolling along the various shops that lined the square.

"Here?" suggested Sora.

"Hmm..."

"Okay, that didn't sound very enthusiastic. How about..."

"I don't..... want to stop walking..." he said hesitantly tightening his grip on her arm slightly.

"Oh I know!" said Sora brightening up. "There's a park close by I think. Shall we go there?"

"Sounds good."

The park was fairly packed too. A light snow had started to fall. A group of children were playing around near the monkey bars. They were making quite a racket. "Kuroko-kun would love this place..." commented Sora with a smile.

"Yes, so would all of them," said Akashi.

"I would be great if we could come here once before the term ends. All of us,"

"I don't know..." said Akashi with a sigh. "This place is huge. It would be tough to watch over them."

"You know, oka..." said Sora reproachfully. "One day you'll have to realize that you aren't responsible for the functioning of the entire world."

"I'll keep that in mind, madam," he said with a grin.

The snow was beginning to fall faster now. The lamp posts had acquired a thin sheet of ice. A couple of older kids were taking dares as to who would touch the cold lamp posts with their bare hands. "Is it true?" mused Sora.

"Hmm?"

"There's a sort of fact that if you touch your tongue to cold metal, it will stick."

"I don't know..." said Akashi with a shrug. "I lack practical experience as far as that goes."

"I'm curious," said Sora wistfully.

"Sora, I don't like that expression."

Sora stopped quite close to a lamp post and took off her gloves. "Just one moment. How cold do you think that is..."

"Sora!" said Akashi grabbing her wrist. "Are you a five year old? The post is freezing. Not to mention dirty. You can't touch that."

"I'm just using my hand...." said Sora and then she said meekly, "Okay, I'll listen to you."

"Good," said Akashi suspiciously and turned to leave. He heard a gasp and a soft curse from behind and then sighed. "You had to do that..."

"It is cold!" said Sora. "Damn cold... Okay I now regret it. Thank goodness my tongue escaped..."

"I told you so! I takes sterner stuff to try stunts like that."

"Not even you could do it," said Sora and then realized her mistake. Akashi paused. "Is it so, Sora? Then if I manage it, what will be my reward?"

"A whack on the head!" exclaimed Sora. "Look, I'm sorry for bringing up this subject, so come away."

"You get to do all the council work for an entire week," teased Akashi and went near the post. "I'm going to do it, Sora..." He edged closer to the pole. "Here goes."

"Wait!" said Sora putting her hand between the pole and him. "Ouch! That hurt..." she said rubbing her hand. "That almost felt like a burn."

"You did it for me..." he said taking her hand wistfully.

"Idiot!"

"It's cold out... Come, we'll see if they sell hot chocolate."

"Don't change the subject!"

"Come on, it's just getting colder."