Shock treatment

"Not bad at all," said Sora.

Mayu had successfully blocked Aoba and Sakura. Mayu merely nodded. It had been like this for almost a week now. Sora was desperately trying to get the team back on the old groove. But she was failing miserably. On one hand, she had to admit that Mayu's new-found determination was something of an inspiration to the rest of the team.

On the other, there was a sort of aura to the whole practice which Sora could neither come to terms with nor just shake off. Even though she wanted to be on speaking terms with Mayu again, she couldn't afford to neglect the rest of the team.

"How are the stats?" said Sora at the end of practice.

"Growth rate is up," said Miyu.

"Who's the best?" said Akira.

"Is that necessary?" said Sora.

"I wanna know!"

"You can't say who's the 'best'. It's just a relative term," said Sora.

"Okay. I'm rephrasing. Statistically, who's the best in the team?" said Akira.

Miyu turned a few papers. "Statistically speaking.... You are."

"Yeah!" said Akira.

"Quit acting so childishly," said Sora sharply. Her nerves were beginning to fray after the long week. Akira became quiet but she still couldn't help smiling just a bit.

"This is not quite right," interposed Aoba. "That's probably because she's the power forward. Shooting guards are never given any recognition. It's just because power forwards keep running around that they get most of the attention. Shooting guards aren't flashy enough apparently."

"Running around? Flashy?" said Akira in a hurt tone.

"Who gets the ball in? Shooting guards. But are they ever given any recognition? No!"

Most of the members hurriedly began to disperse before the storm began. "Guys..." said Sora. "Should you really make such a scene?"

"I must admit, I feel uncomfortable. Let me include all parameters. Then you'll have to acknowledge the final result," said Miyu.

"Fine with me," said Aoba.

"Me too," said Akira uneasily.

"This is stupid," said Yukiji.

"What's going on here?" Mayu had come over.

"I'm just checking statistics for the rest," said Miyu.

"Miyu! I told you we needed to leave early today. My leg is hurting," said Mayu holding up a tube of salve as proof.

"Wait a bit. How come we always leave only when you want to?"

"My leg hurts," repeated Mayu. "Let's go." Miyu tuned her out and focussed on her notes. "I want to go home!" said Mayu chucking the tube at Miyu. Somehow that one small act was the final straw for Sora.

"Are we done here?" she said curtly.

Everyone looked around at her in surprise. "Play with your bloody notes all you want but the next time something like this happens I'm putting off practice indefinitely."

Sora left the room without even looking back. "Uh oh," said Akira.

-----------------------

Sora walked out in a blind rage and cannoned into someone on the way to her locker. "Watch where you're going."

"Feeling touchy are we?" Akashi was looking at her, confused. "Aren't you the idiot who usually apologizes first?"

Sora ignored him and walked past. "Don't leave when I'm talking to you. I'm not done yet, Sora," he said trying to block her path.

"It's bad enough, knocking into people let alone wasting their time later," said Sora glaring at him. Akashi glanced at her thoughtfully and then tried to touch her hand. She knocked his away with an irritated sound.

"So that's how it stands, is it?" he said thoughtfully. Akashi grabbed her hand suddenly and pulled her with him.

"Let go! Are you nuts?" demanded Sora. Akashi stopped near one of the taps on near the back of the gyms. And then he opened one and held her face to it for a few seconds. Sora choked and came up gasping when he released her.

"Are you okay now?" said Akashi gently. "Sometimes water works. At least for me...."

"Were you trying to kill me?" demanded Sora.

"Of course not."

"Well if you were trying anything else, you were doing a pretty bad job."

"Whatever," said Akashi looking tired. "I guess I can't cure you this way."

"And now I'm soaked." said Sora adjusting her sleeves. "I'm going to get a change."

"I'll come to the office with you."

-----------

"Are you okay now?" said Akashi as Sora emerged from the nurse's room with a fresh shirt.

"No. Thanks for nothing," snapped Sora.

"So you're still not cured...."

"I'm perfectly fine!"

"You're being hard, Sora."

"Says the hetero chromatic sadist."

"I prefer the usual sweet girl."

"Seriously, can you even talk?"

Sora was rapidly stuffing her things in her bag. "Sora?" said Akashi.

"What?"

"Let go of the bag."

Akashi pried the bag gently from her hand and ran his fingers over her other arm. Sora felt the colour rise on her face.

"Seijuro?"

"Don't worry. This is just another form of shock treatment."

"Is it?"

"Are you alright now?"

"Umm, I think it worked."

"If you say so," he said stepping back. "You might want to talk, Sora. You've been like this for most of the week. It's irritating."

"I have to go...."

"I'll accompany you to the stand."

-----------

"That's just how it is," said Akashi. "Everyone thinks being captain means that you get to call the shots. But in reality, it's just having your name dragged through the mud and fraying every single one of your nerves." Akashi had listened to Sora's story without interruption and gave this statement at the end.

"I think I'm going mad, Seijuro."

"That's just one of the side effects. It means you're doing your job."

"We're different," said Sora.

"Oh, so you don't want to end up like me do you?" said Akashi and watched Sora struggle for an answer before saying, "That's alright. After all, everyone cannot be absolute."

"As if," scoffed Sora.

"But you're not quitting, aren't you?"

"Never," said Sora firmly.

"Why not?" said Akashi with a smile.

"And let all hell loose? Who in the seven hells would be able to rein them all in then? I will make them a real team before the end of the prelims, this I promise."

"All hail the empress," said Akashi who made a slight bow with a grin.

"Seijuro! Not on the street."

"Sorry. You look pretty when you're trying to be angry."

"Trying?"

"Yup."

"But I really meant it!"

"I know you did," assured Akashi.

"Seijuro?"

"Hmm?"

"I hate you."

"I hate you too."