End of the day

The sky seemed to have decided to reign in its wrath just a bit much to Akira's dismay. At all events, the other three suddenly didn't seem to care about catching colds at all.

"Why is it that everything always seems to trace back to basketball?" mused Akira.

"How shall we divide the teams?" demanded Aomine. "Lots?"

"Toss," said Akashi. "Whoever wins gets to pick."

"Fine," said Aomine. "Heads or tails?"

"Heads," said Akashi.

"Seriously people? Even now. But wait! Where did you get that ball from?" said Akira.

"You see that one with the yellow shirt there?" said Sora pointing slightly.

"Yeah."

"Well, apparently he's Aomine-kun's acquaintance," said Sora.

"Really... Aho seems to be well connected with all street gangs," said Akira.

"More like street ball I guess," said Sora laughing at Akira's dismay.

"Heads!" interrupted Akashi cutting across. "I won, Daiki."

"I can see that. Whod'ye pick?" said Aomine.

"Sora," said Akashi. "It's funny. Much as I try to recollect, I can't remember playing on the same side as you."

"Yeah..." said Sora, the realization dawning on her.

"That's because you haven't," pointed out Akira.

"Whatever. Let's play!" said Aomine. "How much to win?"

"Fifty," said Akashi.

"But that could take near an hour!" exclaimed Akira.

"Who cares?" said Aomine waving it off.

"And one more thing!" said Akira. "Sora-chan and I might have a problem."

"What?" said Sora.

"Shoes!" said Akira. "Sora-chan would have worn that pair that you like so much. But they're not really suitable for running around."

Sora gave a small smile. "Sorry," she said pointing at her feet. She was wearing sneakers. "What?" said Akira. "I had to come to the square by bus," said Sora. Akira groaned and looked down at her sandals. "So I'll be the only one having a hard time."

"Let's start!" said Aomine.

"Shut up, aho! Mou, just wait. I'll beat you so badly, you'll cry."

"Is that a challenge?" demanded Aomine.

"Wait, aren't you two on the same team?" said Sora.

"Hush, Sora. This is just getting interesting. Loser does additional council work," said Akashi. "I'll join your bet."

"Done," said Aomine.

"What? Him?" groaned Akira.

"Yo! Daiki," said one of the guys coming up. "Heard you were playing. Want company?"

Aomine shook his head. "Bet match. Might get a bit heated..."

"They're playing," said the guy gesturing at Sora and Akira.

"Oi! Who're you calling weak? Just because we're girls, it doesn't mean that we're any less experienced. Do you think we're damsels in distress or something?" demanded Akira. "Ever played the nationals twice?"

"Go Akira!" said Sora with a grin.

"Ever played street, little miss?" shot back the guy.

Aomine guffawed. "Little? You feeling okay, mate?"

"Shut up!" said Akira.

"That one's a devil alright," said Aomine pointing at Akira.

"We're lacking a witness though," said Akashi. "Would you be willing to oblige?"

"Witness? Why do you need a witness for a ball game?" said the guy.

"Stick around long enough and you'll see a massacre," muttered Akira. "We're playing the midget psychopath team..."

--------

"Forty seven to fifty," said the guy inhaling at last.

"We won, Himeji," said Akashi with a smile.

"Yup! Now we'll have someone to help with the work for the club activities," said Sora.

"You just had to ask. We would have done it anyway," said Akira.

"Don't worry, Akira-san. If you want out of anything, I'll take care," whispered Sora.

"Nah. I was serious when I said I would help," said Akira.

"What just happened right now?" said the guy who was fighting the aftermath of the match.

"Oh, it's always like this," said Aomine. "We seemed to have lost our edge though. We need to get back to shape before the qualifiers."

"No kidding huh..." said Akira. "Great. Now I'm tired. You owe me an ice, aho."

"Yeah, yeah..."

"And we'd better get going..." said Akashi.

"Yeah," said Sora. "Whew, it was a long day... What with meeting Kise-kun's younger brother, playing with you guys and all..."

"Kise-kun's brother?" said Akira confused.

"Yeah. I'll tell you about it later."

"Okay."

Akira watched as Akashi and Sora walked off. "Mou! They could've stayed longer. We're the last ones standing... What shall we do?"

Aomine raised the ball in his hand and began to say something. Akira cut across sharply. "Aho! Remember, that's a borrowed ball. One word about basketball and I'll kill it. Then you'll be in serious trouble."

Aomine snorted. "Guess it's no use talking to someone who 'kills' basketballs..."

"Idiot! Drop me near my house and then go to hell."

"No can do..." said Aomine spinning the ball in his hands. "I have a match. Oi, you're playing right?" he said, addressing the guy with the yellow shirt. He nodded.

"What?" said Akira.

"The only one who can beat me is me. Come on... I challenge you. If you win, I'll take you home," said Aomine.

"You're on."

When they went to take their positions, Aomine's acquaintance tugged his sleeve. "Oi, it's nearly evening. Are you going to let her go alone?"

Aomine snorted. "So that she gets lost or something? Seriously, I would be last one to let her loose on the world. I won't be such a pain to society... Don't worry mate, I was going to accompany her anyway."