Video game: Day #3

"He didn't win, did he?" said Kise and Akashi shook his head. "Looks like Akiracchi's efforts went a waste after all!" lamented Kise.
"It was to be expected," said Akashi. "Her methods were more generalized than specific."
"Well?" demanded Kise during taking a bite out of his lunch. "Can you seriously make him win?"
"Of course I can," said Akashi simply. "I've discovered the root cause of the problem and all that's left to do is to... eradicate it."
"Eh? What have you found out?" said Kise.
Akashi tapped his chin thoughtfully. "One of the major defects of Daiki's approach is that he tries to incorporate his own moves into the game. That game is a really basic one so the avatar simply freezes up when he tries complex moves."
"And in human language that is?" said Kise scratching his head.
"He's trying to play formless in a system that simply does not allow it."
"I see!" said Kise brightly. "What do we do now?"
"We coach him."
"Ooh!" said Kise.
"What is it?" said Akashi suspiciously.
"Nothing," said Kise with a chuckle. "It's just that life is much more amusing when it is someone else who is going to get creamed."
"I wouldn't rest so easy if I were you, Ryouta. Your own fate depends on your performance in the slip test. If you fail, then you'll get coaching in maths. Not something as light as video games," reminded Akashi.
"Mou! You're killing my moment!" exclaimed Kise.
"Don't we have something to do?"
"Yeah! Mission Aho starts now!"
"I don't see the need for such excessive enthusiasm Ryouta."
Aomine was duly cornered by Akashi and Kise after the final bell rang. "Aominecchi's in luck!" said Kise. "The masked avenger and his side kick..."
"Ryouta!" said Akashi sharply.
"Okay.... The masked avenger steps aside..."
"If you don't quit this nonsense, I will peel your face off," snarled Akashi. Kise pouted and turned to the wall. Aomine looked from one to the other and then said sarcastically "Look, if you guys were here to do standup comedy for my benefit, I really appreciate it. But the point is, I just don't have time for this stupidity."
"You'll thank me on bended knees when you know what I've come about," said Akashi.
"Not likely," muttered Aomine.
"I was thinking of helping you with the video game issue," said Akashi calmly. Aomine sucked in his breath. "I'll be able to beat Tetsu?"
"You have my word."
"Fair enough," said Aomine.
"I'll give you a tip," said Akashi. "I'm going to change your avatar."
"Oi, you're messing with me, right?" said Aomine.
"I'm serious," said Akashi.
"Fine."
Akashi paused. "According to you, who is the worst player in the basketball club?"
"Akira," said Aomine without thinking.
"Aominecchi's always thinking about Akiracchi! It's so romantic!" exclaimed Kise.
"Shaddup!" said Aomine throwing his bag at Kise. Kise ducked out of the way with a laugh.
"Be serious," said Akashi grimly.
Aomine gave his question a bit of thought. "Freckles. From the third string." Akashi nodded. "Change your avatar to look like freckles."
"Eh? So that I'll get even more jinxed?" said Aomine.
"Tell me, Daiki, can freckles play formless?"
"Not even to save his life."
"Can he fake a drive and then change his move to a close range shot in a few seconds?"
"But then pigs would fly and the world would end," pointed out Aomine.
"Yes," said Akashi. "Just remember that when you play with an avatar which looks like him. You'll be able to scrape your way to victory."
"That was very positive..." muttered Aomine.
"Looks like we saved the day!" exclaimed Kise.
"Ryouta?"
"What is it?"
"Just keep your mouth shut."
------------
"Well, what's going on?" said Sora. She was waiting for Yukiji at the entrance of the cafeteria. Yukiji held up a thumbs up. "Aomine won. And he had the sense to call it quits with Kuroko." Sora nodded. "So the saga ends..."
Just then, they heard a shout from within. "Hey.... This has gotten me fired up! I challenge you, Kuroko!" yelled one of their classmates.
"Not so fast I guess," said Yukiji.
Then they heard another shout. "Oro? Where did he go?"
"In the end, misdirection is always my cup of tea," said a voice behind the two girls making them jump.
"Good for you!" said Yukiji with a laugh.
"I guess I prefer to remain the phantom of Teiko's basketball," said Kuroko with a shudder. "Please inform Aomine-kun that I'm.... somewhere untraceable."