Chapter Sixteen

I walked inside the busy building. My eyes caught sight of the closing elevator as I ran for it, holding it steel bared entrance before it could shut. I pushed it up but it got stuck in the middle. “Fuck,” I cursed.

“You need to get under,” an unfamiliar voice said, my eyes lifted seeing the familiar face. “Let me hold that sack for you.”

Short blonde hair and tats on his neck, carrying a grey gym bag. It was the young man back at the gym. I reluctantly handed him the sack. “Thanks,” bending and entering the elevator.

It then closed, ascending.

“No prob,” a smile curling up his lips, handing me back my sack.

That was when I noticed the familiar tats on his fist of little skulls. I quickly shifted my eyes off them, taking the sack from his hand, allowing silence to swallow us.

“I saw you fight back at the Monet, it was really good,”” he finally sought courage and spoke.

“Thanks,” I said without facing him.

“Where are my manners, I’m James Swan,” stretching his hand towards me.

James? I had never seen him around the building. Probably he was new. I turned to face him, my eyes glancing at his hand and back at his face. “Jin Wang,” I lied. “Can’t shake your hand.”

I moved the sack up, showing him my hands were occupied. “Oh no problem, silly me I forgot,” he laughed.

I nodded, trying to figure out what was in his head. The elevator suddenly stopped rattling terribly. “Fuck,” I cursed, realizing the entrance had open a little space.

“Let me get it,” he offered, moving past me heading for the entrance. He placed his gym bag down. His hands held the steel bared entrance and pulled it up, the sound of it rattling entering my ears sharply. I clenched my bite hardly, blinking now and again.

The noise was messing with my teeth. “Uhm!” he softly grunted, the entrance opening half way.

 “Damn this wrecked thing,” he cursed letting it go, veins already popping on his neck and forehead.

“You need help?” I asked.

“It won’t open,” he said.

I placed my gym bag down and sack of seeds, moving toward the entrance. He moved aside. “We could just slide underneath,” he proposed.

“Or maybe not,” I said my left hand pulling it up with my might, it opened instantly.

The sight of two women in rain coats appeared before us. One with a messy bun and the other with long straight hair. Teenagers, I knew them both, although I didn’t know their names. They were the two bitches who would bother me.

One lived opposite my room with a tanned man she called uncle and the other lived in room 37 with her alcoholic mother and little brother. They giggled at our sight.

 “Hey ladies,” the blonde man who had refereed himself as James said flashing a ridiculous smile.

Suck a joke! I quickly pulled my gym bag and sack of seeds heading out, past the two teenagers. I couldn’t watch this anymore.

 “Hello bird man!” one of them yelled as I immediately stopped walking.

They didn’t! I turned to face them, one of them already exchanging numbers with James.

“Excuse me?” I asked already feeling my fist itching.

Her dumpling face turned cold, seeming to regret her words. “It’s a joke,” the one with long hair defended her lousy friend.

“Joke? How about I run my fist on both your mouths, setting it red then call the tooth fairy for collection, that sounds like a joke to me,” 

“Bra…” James tried to speak.

“Don’t fuckin brah me, stay out!” my voice rose, cutting him off the conversation.

His eyes tensed. “Girls go to school,” James ordered as the two teenagers scurried down the stairs.

“I told you to stay out!”

I was suddenly hot, and moving towards him. What was he doing? Did he really wanted to mess with me?

“I wasn’t going to stand and watch you beat up children,” he said, pulling his gym bag from inside the elevator and flung it over his shoulder walking out.

A sharp laughter left my lips. “Children? Says the guy who was prying to sex them both!” I stated, my gym bag dropping on the floor as I roughed up his leather jacket.

Fear filled his eyes, his body tensed. “So, what? You gonna beat me up?” he asked, his dark eyes on me.

Those words… why did they take me back to my younger self. My hand loosened from his jacket, guilt already clouding in my eyes. What was I doing?

“No…Fuck!” I cursed my hand let go of his leather jacket heading back up the passage. I  quickly scooping my gym bag from the floor and ran down the dim passage.

What was wrong with me? This wasn’t like me, going around beating up people. It was wrong, opposite of what I had thought of myself.