Chapter Nineteen

Rain poured heavily the moment I stepped out the Motel I lived in with glistening neon lights written, Weight Free Motel. I pulled my hood on, moving my gym bag behind my back, carrying it like a school bag pack.

A number of people moved around, laughing and talking. My eyes suddenly met the posters on the broken street light poles with familiar fucked up faces of corrupt men campaigning for the upcoming elections.

I clenched my hands and started running down the busy Farewell street. The rain poured heavily on me as I ran past every individual before me. Cars moved up the narrow street as I ran past them, finally getting under the verandas.

I didn't stop running, moving past the few electronic stores. Teenagers in school uniform walking in groups came to my view, reminding me of the time I had almost beat up the two teenage girls from the Motel after calling me bird man.

I crossed the narrow street that had appeared before me, still running. The broken traffic light came to my sight. Fuck! My eyes meeting the group of men shady looking men that stood near it.

Considering they were looking right and left I suspected they also were waiting to cross the busy. My feet decreased pace, moving past them. The smell of nicotine, which came from them filling my nose.

Waiting wasn't my option as I jogged past the busy street, receiving curses and hoots from the cars. I fuckin didn't give a damn. I needed to get to FL200, entering a narrow street. I was taking a short cut. I needed to get to FL200 in time, I had promised Morgen and the last thing I needed was him prying on my business, leading him to finding out I had no transport.

I knew he would offer to help but I couldn't...I couldn't allow him, not after so much he had done for me. I wasn't charity. I could do things on my own. My boots stepped on the dirty puddles setting them on the air while I jogged up the narrow street.

The smell of pee on the old red bricked walls and rubbish lying around filling my nose. Neon lights flickered from the old boards above the old buildings I was in-between, indicating there were butcheries and fast food restaurants around.

The sound of rain hitting the corrugated iron followed. Empty, the narrow street was empty. My ears suddenly caught the footsteps moving from the buildings above.

I lifted my blue eyes above allowing rain to soak my face wet. The blurry figures jumping from one building to the next came to my view, yelling and laughing.

Kids, I thought.

Jumping around buildings was a normal thing to do in Fion section. Thieves, they were thieves stealing laundry hung on top roofs or electronics in people's houses who left their windows open. I had once been like them. A heavy steroid user that stole around Fion section. A fuckin mess of a drug addict.

A devil of a teenager. At fifteen years old already looking like a twenty-four-year-old man going through a rough patch. Changing homes like a pair of flipflops.

My senses were suddenly awakened as I applied brakes, pushing my body to the side. The huge garden axe moved past me, merely missing my neck. An out-liner? Was I being attacked by those bloody monsters?

My back with my gym bag landed on the old wall as the axe dug on the wall beside me. A big fist went on my face but I blocked it with my forearms, with all the sheath of rain on my face making it hard for me to see the familiar huge structure I was certain it was a man, pinning me on the wall.

I heard him pull out his axe from the wall. I kneed him on his groin as a gasp left his lips, the petroleum scent of Knees entering my nose. Whoever the bastard was, was on Knees. He moved back and aimed the axe at me again. I moved out the way but continuously he followed me, the axe digging on the wall, leaving dents.