Chapter Seventeen

I barged inside my crampy apartment, shutting the door behind me, leaning on it. I dropped the gym bag before my feet. The loud chirping filling my ears. My chest rose and fell, my hands trembling.

I moved deeper inside my messy apartment, my clothes lying on the floor, along the seeds and features. My black motorbike on the corner along some spare parts. I couldn’t risk leaving it outside, not in Fion section at least although I wasn’t done fixing it. They would rip it apart, selling all its part.

I still needed a few more parts but each costed a fortune. I was still scouting for a better place to buy my parts from. A place that wouldn’t force me to use up the money I had save for moving out of Fion section.

I headed for the cage with elven of those I had found their presence comfortable for years now. The pigeons. I had been keeping city pigeons in my cage from when I was fourteen, when I had found one outside my window pane with a broken wing during winter.

It had been unacceptable to keep pets but I had taken the poor pigeon in and nursed it. There I had fallen in love with these creatures. They were my calm place and reminded me of how much of a good person I was.

I felt like a human when I was with them, rather than being with people. People who would hurt me, eventually. I pulled the enamel mug with seeds from the window pane. I moved it inside the cage. All their beaks dug on the seeds.

My other hand also with scruffy bandages stroked their feathers that kept me calm. Light and free I had succumbed on their energy. “Lucky little fellows,” I found my mouth saying out without my approval.

Simple, their life had been nothing short of simple. They were to eat, breed and die. “You are far more precisions than you think my little ones,” I said this time realizing how much they meant to me compared to people.

The thunder roared, making everything calm but not my brain. I couldn’t stop thinking, thinking about her…

I placed the mug on the stand I had made with a few wires and moved to my single bed. I pulled up my mattress and pulled out three sachets of Knees, tray and my plastic straw, walking inside the small room beside me which was the bathroom.

I moved towards the small sink with a mirror. A mirror with a huge crack and articles stuck on it. Beside the sink was the small shower with a clear plastic shielding it. It had rust on the floor, caused by being old but functional.

My eyes met the unfamiliar man I had become, my hair already growing to a shoulder length, covering most of my face. My eyes tensed as a memory of my younger self seeing the ice blue eye with red vein in its sclera look through the bloody window beside me, flashed back in my head.

“FUCK!” I yelled, punching the mirror before me, setting it into a million pieces, blood dripping from my bandages onto the sink.

Why were these memories haunting me now? Tears rushed down my cheeks. “Why?!” I cried loudly, tears dripping inside the sink stained with my dripping blood and shattered glasses.

I moved away my bloody hand from the broken mirror taking the three sachets of knees, pouring all three of them on the tray and moved the straw towards the pink powdery substance.

My hawk nose exhaled it from the straw making my head sting in a painful but yet enjoyable manner. I moved my face up warm tears still flooding down my angular face, feeling knees spreading throughout my body.

A laughter left my lips. Pain and worry leaving me. I was happy, seeing gleaming lights. I took another exhale on Knees as pink crystals rushed out my mouth, its petroleum scent filling my mouth and nose.

Everything immediately turned quiet as her diamond shape face appeared before me. “Zoe,” I said, moving towards her.

“Hy,” she said, pushing me against the wall.

I felt my body turn hot as her hands moved inside my jacket, running up my abs. “I…I’m so…” I tried to speak.

“Shh,” she whispered getting close to me. Both her hands sliding out from under my jacket. They held the back of my neck, pulling me down, kissing me hungrily.