Chapter Forty-Four

I finally stopped, my legs screaming for me to stop so were my lungs. The thunder roared. My hands rested on my knees, while I leaned on the old wall. I had ruined everything. Tears rushed down my cheeks. "HUH!" I screamed, kicking the nearby garbage bins.

Morgen hated me and he wasn't going to forgive me. I finally stopped kicking the garbage bins, sinking into the wet ground, near the wall. Rain pouring over me. The lights of boards glistering fully.

I was in the Shiver street. A narrow street Jason would always ask me to accompany him to when coming to one of the fast food restaurants that belonged to Mr. Sung, around the very street to get some beef burgers and fried chips. What had I done wrong? A dreadful memory of my younger self suddenly flashed in my head.

My twelve-year-old self being exchanged for a few bank notes, crying and screaming as I watched the black police sport car drive out the orphanage. A car sent by my uncle who had promised to meet me this side.

Lies! He had lied to me. I had still worn the black bloody tuxedo and blood had stained my face and the elderly woman, who was the head master held my arm as I tried breaking from her grip.

"UNCLE!" I had screamed.

"Now, now little one," she had said dragging me inside the old age stone huge building.

That had been my last day to see my uncle nor any of my family. I had waited, waited and waited for him to come get me but never. He had never showed up even after I had written a number of letters for him.

His gentle smile and patting me on my head had meant nothing. He had gotten rid of me like a used tissue. I had been useless to his plans. The footsteps getting close to me pulling me to the presence.

I quickly got on my feet, rain pouring heavily. My senses were awakened. My eyes ran around the dim street with glistering red lights from the boards above. My eyes quickly caught the sight of the little figure. My hands quickly clenched into a fist, ready to attack.

The sound of wheels filled my ears as the figure got closer for me to see. A skinny old man with disgusting blisters on the face, neck and hands appeared in a wheelchair. Blood shot eyes wide open, shoulders hunch and mouth open. A zombie cripple man. What was it doing here?

I felt my body tensing, my fist ready to attack. I knew they weren't harmful but still... I couldn't bring myself into trusting them.

My eyes noticed the middle finger that wasn't curled up like all the other fingers pressing on the button of its wheelchair, driving it forward. It could still drive its wheelchair, how strange. I had thought they became immobile, unable to move a single muscle but here was this one moving a finger.

As it got near, the air changed. Everything went to slow motion. The corner of my eye picking up the bloody ripped out arm lying on its laps. My forehead frowning. It drove past me leaving behind a rotten scent. It headed for the dark, behind me, my world getting back to normal.

Fion section wasn't safe but the Shiver street, it wasn't that dangerous. It was strange to get a Zombie cripple this side of Fion section. They were only found around Nivel street. A street where everyone abandoned their families who had turned.

Whereas the Out-liners were known to operate in the Farewell street.