twenty-nine

The following weekend

"Ellie, we're literally staying away for one night just half an hour from here. There's not much you'll need" Sam laughed at my worrying about forgetting something, as we left for my birthday gift-weekend.

"You never know" I closed my flat's door behind me.

I didn't really know what to expect from the hotel we were going to, even if I might have spent too much time googling photos of it. And it seemed way more luxurious than any place I'd ever stepped in. I absolutely didn't want to know how much money Sam had spent on it.

"Sam?" I said while on the way there, in the car.

"Yes?" her manicured hand rested on my thigh.

"I've never really been in such a, uhm, glamorous place before. I might seem uncomfortable at times, but it'll probably just be me getting used to it. I don't wanna seem ungrateful, I really do appreciate you doing this for me" I nervously twisted my fingers in hers.

"Out of all the thoughts I could have, not even the last one that would come into my mind has to do with you being ungrateful" she chuckled. "Don't worry about it"

"Okay, thanks" I squeezed her hand.

"Basically everyone in the place's job is to help you have an as relaxing weekend as possible, no one will judge you" she reassured me.

Sam's pov

I never let go of my girlfriend's hand as we got out of my car and entered the hotel, making sure she knew there was nothing to worry about.

I was really happy to spend more than a few hours with her and her only, somewhere that wasn't my apartment or my office. We both needed a relaxing weekend, and what other place better than a good spa was there to get that? While I knew it wasn't the kind of experience she was used to, I was sure she'd enjoy it a lot.

After breaking up with my ex I'd kind of neglected any self-care activity, also because she was the one who encouraged it in the first place. So I really missed doing something like it.

Of course, I recognized my privilege in even thinking how much I'd been missing it, but I'd never denied having a passion for luxury from time to time. And I was alway happy to use my money to make people I love enjoy such things too.

"Woah" Ellie exclaimed as we entered the main lobby, an enormous room with cream colored walls and staircases covered by brownish carpets on each side. Glass pots with white flowers in them were scattered near the black railings.

"Pretty cool, huh?" I smiled at her.

"Definitely. It's gonna be a great weekend"

"Indeed" I kissed the top of her head, wrapping an arm around her waist.

We went to the reception to check in, an elegantly dressed young man giving us all the information about our room and the services. But I doubt that Ellie was actually listening to any of it, judging from her startled face while looking around the room the whole time.

"You're so cute, you know that?" I laughed as we followed the guy leading us to the elevator that took us to our room.

"I'm just amazed" she giggled. "The view is gonna be incredible! What floor are we on? Like 10th?" she said as the doors opened.

"Here's your key" the man handed me an electronic card. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to let us know. Enjoy your stay!"

"Thank you, sir" I said, handing him a tip.

"He looked scared of you" Ellie whispered as I unlocked the door.

"Did he?" I chuckled. "There's no reason for him to be"