sixty-eight

"I can't believe you haven't started packing yet!" I disapprovingly said, checking that I'd put all of the clothes I needed in the suitcase.

"I have the whole afternoon" Sam chuckled. "I need to go and get my car from the mechanic guy now. Wanna come?"

"You think one afternoon is enough???" I asked. "And I'm busy, if you haven't noticed"

"Yes, I do" she shrugged, walking to me to kiss me.

"Well, it's not" I backed off. "You'll regret it this evening"

"I'm sure I won't" she kissed me again, looking amused. "We're just staying away for two weeks, not a year"

"You can't pack a two week suitcase in a few hours" I furrowed my brows.

"I'll prove you wrong" she shrugged, pecking the tip of my nose. "Are you sure you don't wanna come along?"

"I'll stress out if I don't finish the schedule I said I'd follow" I shook my head.

"Okay, you'd rather make me feel lonely I guess"

"Don't make me feel guilty"

"I'm kidding. I wouldn't want to disrupt your plans" she reassured me with what I felt was a small quantity of sarcasm. "See you in like half an hour" she kissed me before leaving the apartment.

Maybe Sam was partly right about it all. Not completely right, just partly. By the time she started packing ,right after lunch, I'd already almost finished. But I wasn't going to admit that to her so I just pretended I needed to add more stuff.

"You know" I said, distracting her from looking at me. "The longest flight I've ever been on was like two hours long"

"Really?"

"Yeah, I went to Florida to see some relatives" I nodded. "What's this flight gonna be, like seven hours long?"

"Yeah, seven hours. Are you scared?" she asked, counting how many socks she'd put in her case.

"Just a bit" I admitted. "Will you hold my hand during all of it?"

"Of course baby" she laughed, leaning towards me from the other side of the bed and kissing my forehead. "You've never experienced jet-lag then?"

"Nope. Is it bad?" I asked.

"I mean, I've gotten used to dealing with it. It's not that bad. You just might feel tired during the day and alert at night for a few days" she shrugged. "I can tell you're trying to hide the fact that you're done packing"

"I'm not" I threw the first thing I found in the case. Turns out it was a single shoe.

"Okay" she laughed. "I'll just pretend I haven't noticed"

"Well, it's a good thing. I won't be stressing about last minute things I need to add because I have lots of time to think about it. Unlike you"

"Whatever" she chuckled, rolling from one side of the bed to the one I was sitting on, kissing me once she was near enough. "You're so cute. I love you" she added, unexpectedly pushing me from the shoulder so that I landed on the bed on my back.

"Stop making fun of me if you really love me" I pouted, trying to free myself from her grip.

"I'm not making fun of you" she chuckled, tightening her grip on my sides instead.

"You are"

"I'm not, silly" she said before pecking my lips and then my nose, forehead and cheeks. "I'm offended you didn't say you love me too if anything"